• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Advise on sights needed.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ498

32 Cal
Reaction score
I shoot at a monthly black powder competition. I have a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle and two Traditions. I also have a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle I'm building but that's another story. My problem is my old eyes. The front blade sight is narrow and I have a great deal of difficulty seeing it. My distance vision is fair to good but I do need reading glasses for anything close in. If I wear my reading glasses, I can see the front sight but the target is not much more than a blur. Without the glasses, I can see the target fine but the sites are very difficult to see. I have tried using bright red and white nail polish on the front blade but that doesn't help. I think a wider front sight would do the trick. The competition requires iron sights and I would like to stay somewhat correct. Does anybody have any suggestions on replacement sites particularly on the front? Also, are the sight dovetails standard or do they come in different sizes? If they are different, how do you measure them to figure out what you need? Thanks all

It has come to pass that I need a thicker front sight too. I have found that brass works best for me on most targets. Dove tails vary so measure across the bottom of the sight dove tail then get what can be fitted to the gun. Sorry no quick easy answers for you.
And talk to your eye glass man, I had a set made for shooting and it added a lot to my score.

If where you shoot will allow it, try using a merit eye disk, or similar. You can also put black electrical tape on your lens and put a pin hole where you can look through at your sights.

I've learned to shoot fuzzy sights and fuzzy target/game. Keep doing it and the brain will adjust. Just put the fuzzy thing on the fuzzy thing and let it rip!
I don't know why exactly, but, this caused an idea to pop into my mind; I'd like to see a sequel to "The Patriot" where an aging Benjamin Martin (Mel Gibson) is handing smoke poles to some grandkids and asking em, "What did I teach you boys about shooting?" Boys with condescending and quizzical looks on their faces respond by rote, "Aim fuzzy, miss fuzzy."

Going to a silver front sight did wonders...I also cleaned up the notch in my back sites and widened it a bit. Also....when I went to my eye doc, (I have a very good experienced older guy) I carefully explained what I was having difficulty with. I forget just what is taught, But I focus mainly on the target, with the sights in periphery.

Going to a silver front sight did wonders...I also cleaned up the notch in my back sites and widened it a bit. Also....when I went to my eye doc, (I have a very good experienced older guy) I carefully explained what I was having difficulty with. I forget just what is taught, But I focus mainly on the target, with the sights in periphery.

I do it a bit different and look at only the front sight.

I agree with Grimord, a Marbles or Lyman peep sight works well with old eyes. I have a TC Seneca with .36 and .45 barrels and the optional TC tang sight which greatly lengthens the sight radius and improves results

If allowed put a peep sight on the rifle.

IF not use a pinhole stuck to your glasses.

I make a strip of pinholes in electrical tape. Burn the holes in the tape with a heated pin. Hold the pin in a pair of pliers. :) Cut the tape 1/4" wide. Stick the strip of holes to your glasses where it need to be. When you look through the pinhole, all will be in focus at one time.

The Marbles "bullseye" peep rear sight is a good one for those of us with failing eyes but want to stay close to original.
My Pedersoli Kentucky 32 is strictly my small game rifle so I’m not restricted by rules. A Marbles Bullseye Ghost in the rear, with a Hi Vis fiber optic front, and I can shoot like I was 16 again. I did recut the dovetails to 3/8 to facilitate the job.

If peep sights are allowed I use the peep sight. I place mine close to breech plug. They look good, are adjustable & makes a great difference for seeing front sight & target. You can find them now & then on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also found that a bright silver or brass sight of proper thickness in a “V” rear works best for my 70 year old eyes, particularly in low light whitetail hunting, my most demanding sighting condition. Wash-out in bright light, target shooting can be easily fixed if needed with some removable sight black.

I have also found that a bright silver or brass sight of proper thickness in a “V” rear works best for my 70 year old eyes, particularly in low light whitetail hunting, my most demanding sighting condition. Wash-out in bright light, target shooting can be easily fixed if needed with some removable sight black.

I agree. The Pedersoli Hawken I just bought has a proper thin silver sight. It's the first one i've ever tried and I really like it.

Back