• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Advise on Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Infantry model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi2Winky

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently came into possession a Pedersoli made 1859 Sharps Infantry model as part of a trade. It looks brand new and unfired. I'm considering selling it, but the unique part it sits in the technological development of firearms greatly interests me as well. I have read that I would need to get my breach block modified to improve the seal. I need new moulds and learn to make paper cartridges. All these new expenses got me hesistant in putting more money into it rather than just putting it up for sale. I'm not new to blackpowder but they are all muzzleloaders and do not have experience with this kind of percussion rifle.

Anyone out there that might be able to convince me to keep it? Any great loads that worked? Is the breach mod worth cost? What bullets work? I've looked at several candidates.
Christmas tree: SHARPS CHRISTMAS TREE | mm2013
France: SHARPS CARTRIDGE | mm2013
CS Richmond: Smith Carbine 50 Cal

many thanks!

Since you're NSSA, go chat with either Charlie Hahn or Larry Flees.

The new mold making a bullet to take Charlie's tubes will eliminate most of the tedium of rolling paper cartridges from scratch. Both my Sharps carbines have the Flees modification and can run a hundred without problems. Before ordering a mold, you will have to know the actual diameter of the barrel as they vary.

Pedersoli's are excellent shooters. I have the sporter model in .54 cal. Charlie Hahn will modify your chamber and breech to keep stop the block from freezing due to gas leakage. He did mine and it functions perfectly. He also provides cardboard tubes in lengths to suit your chamber and bullet. I strongly recommend Moose Moulds' Sharps Xmas Tree or Sharps Ringtail, both of which will fit Charlie's tubes. That will probably depend on your groove/groove diameter. Pedersoli's spec says .520 bore, .540 groove. Your barrel has 7 grooves so if you slug it, you'll need someone with an anvil micrometer to measure it. I went with a .544 as recommended by Charlie and it's a tack driver. Given that it's a military model, I would definitely go with the breech mod since it will be more desirable by N-SSA shooters if you decide to put it up for sale.

Attachments

• WP2gfKIEQSac48lfGlKMuw.jpg
    WP2gfKIEQSac48lfGlKMuw.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 125
Pedersoli's are excellent shooters. I have the sporter model in .54 cal. Charlie Hahn will modify your chamber and breech to keep stop the block from freezing due to gas leakage. He did mine and it functions perfectly. He also provides cardboard tubes in lengths to suit your chamber and bullet. I strongly recommend Moose Moulds' Sharps Xmas Tree or Sharps Ringtail, both of which will fit Charlie's tubes. That will probably depend on your groove/groove diameter. Pedersoli's spec says .520 bore, .540 groove. Your barrel has 7 grooves so if you slug it, you'll need someone with an anvil micrometer to measure it. I went with a .544 as recommended by Charlie and it's a tack driver. Given that it's a military model, I would definitely go with the breech mod since it will be more desirable by N-SSA shooters if you decide to put it up for sale.

nice shooting! What's distance for that target?

I heard about Larry's modification from someone that had it, saying his modification was didn't change anything permanently. I wasn't sure if mentioned that as a comparison to Charlie's mod. Are they different mods that do the same things?

The distance was 50 yards. Larry makes a new, fixed chamber sleeve and new gas check plate that is precision fit to a specific distance from the mouth of the chamber sleeve. There is an O ring behind the plate that fits into a machined recess in the face of the breech block that pushes the face of the gas plate against the chamber sleeve. Charlie permanently fixes the plate to the block. He replaces the chamber bushing with new one that has a reduced diameter shank with an O ring that fits into the chamber. The O ring pushes the mouth of the bushing against the plate. Both systems work very well.

The distance was 50 yards. Larry makes a new, fixed chamber sleeve and new gas check plate that is precision fit to a specific distance from the mouth of the chamber sleeve. There is an O ring behind the plate that fits into a machined recess in the face of the breech block that pushes the face of the gas plate against the chamber sleeve. Charlie permanently fixes the plate to the block. He replaces the chamber bushing with new one that has a reduced diameter shank with an O ring that fits into the chamber. The O ring pushes the mouth of the bushing against the plate. Both systems work very well.
Thank you for the thorough explanation!

i too have been looking to buy a Pedersoli 1859 infantry 54 because I’m attracted to the interesting breech loading tech. Being a newbie at the game, I’m surprised at how unreliable the Sharps seems to be just to get it to fire off! Am I mistaken? Is it possible to get the Pedersoli repro to fire straight out of the box without being a rocket engineer?
I would greatly appreciate your sage advices on a precise shopping list of items needed to get the darn thing to work! That would include exact brands of percussion cap, balls and desired FFG. I’m located in France /Switzerland and was planning to use paper cartridge, minie balles and 3 Swiss FFG.
The Pedersoli here is around 1600 Euros and theres a 2-3 month manufacturing waiting time from the factory in Italy
Please help before I offload the cash. Am I just chasing a dream? Thanks for any help.

i too have been looking to buy a Pedersoli 1859 infantry 54 because I’m attracted to the interesting breech loading tech. Being a newbie at the game, I’m surprised at how unreliable the Sharps seems to be just to get it to fire off! Am I mistaken? Is it possible to get the Pedersoli repro to fire straight out of the box without being a rocket engineer?
I would greatly appreciate your sage advices on a precise shopping list of items needed to get the darn thing to work! That would include exact brands of percussion cap, balls and desired FFG. I’m located in France /Switzerland and was planning to use paper cartridge, minie balles and 3 Swiss FFG.
The Pedersoli here is around 1600 Euros and theres a 2-3 month manufacturing waiting time from the factory in Italy
Please help before I offload the cash. Am I just chasing a dream? Thanks for any help.
If you use the hottest caps you can find and are diligent about cleaning the breech block and flash channel after use, you should be fine. Making sure the channel is oil free before firing is equally important. HAVING SAID THAT, A Pedersoli "out of the box" may leak gas and foul the breech block to a point that it will be difficult to open after as little as five shots. Larry or Charlie can correct that, but being Europe and shipping to to the States may be cost prohibitive. You'd probably know more about that.

Makes you wonder why Pedersoli don't do this, too. Or Shiloh or C Sharps Rifle. My buddy Dick has a Shiloh Sharps in .54cal that uses loose loading, although he has been known to make cartridges. Even that version blows a visible blast back around the breech block on firing, notwithstanding the huge cost of the initial purchase.

Can someone explain to me the reason the Sharps company did not deem it necessary to make provisions for a cleaning rod to be carried under the barrel like a muzzleloader?
I find it an inexcusable oversight.

FYI, I have a new cavalry model that shoots without any problems other than fouling the breech block rather quickly. (under 20 shots) I’ve had no issues with ignition.
I use real 2F black powder..

Do the Chiappa Sharps have the same problems as the Pedersoli ones?

I honestly don't know why Pedersoli doesn't just fix the problem. Enough people seem to be buying percussion Sharps for it to make sense. And for the amount of money you need to pelt at them for a new rifle....

@Obi2Winky I would keep the Sharps if I were you. They are super cool.

Back