• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Advice Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I think I’d be more inclined to scale down the load to match the scale of the cannon than to shoot it like it was a pistol barrel. Either way. Pics, or it didn’t happen.

I ment a .490 ball. As for recoil my 1.5 in ships cannon (the small one in the photo)rolls back about 6 feet, 6 ounce ball 1.5 ounces powder, my field cannon is a 1.5 in bore and has a skid plate and that only moves a 1 foot max.with the same powder charge. I have run up to 4 oz powder blank charge, nice LOUD bang.

All mine have been inspected here in MN.

Thanks guys, I have more or less decided to use the .490 ball with a thin lubed patch, certainly a wad and start off with 10gn powder. The speed that firearms departments are working here means that It will probably be Christmas next year before I shoot it. That’s December 2021!

15 grains and .490 ball with this one. It has to be held down to prevent back flip. On yours I would run a leather strap over the barrel behind the trunions. The bill is about 6 inches long.

1604011033252.png

Unless you have a specific target like a watermelon or a jug of water that you want to see be "blown up" I don't think I'd even use a ball. Blanks will do nicely.

Unless you have a specific target like a watermelon or a jug of water that you want to see be "blown up" I don't think I'd even use a ball. Blanks will do nicely.

The MLAGB holds miniature canon competitions here and, the range I will be shooting on is very picky about targetry. Sadly, I can’t just find a piece of desert and have some proper fun!

Would start w/ low power loads and experiment upwards. Also , having worked w/ small cannons , it might be good to build a flat board w/apiece of wood behind the rear wheels to help absorb some recoil , so the gun doesn't flip over when fired w/strong loads. After all , it's the "boom" the gun makes , more than the cannon ball. I could always tell where my son and his buddy were on the mountain behind the house by the "boom's" , even at two miles distance..........oldwood

View attachment 39449
Given the speed of renewals here, it may be a while before I can get my hands on one of these. My friend is making me one in .50 calibre.. I know it will peeve the re-inactors, I know it isn’t a replica, I know it probably doesn’t look right to some.

I also know it’s going to be seriously wallet damaging fun!

Where should I start with powder loads please?

Wads/patched ball? (smoothbore)

Thanks in advance

🤗🤗🤗
That is pretty spiffy!
The man who built me a black powder soda can Stokes mortar told me "Use a tablespoon"! Well it works for the soda cans!

That is pretty spiffy!
The man who built me a black powder soda can Stokes mortar told me "Use a tablespoon"! Well it works for the soda cans!

Sadly, still waiting for the Firearms Office to return my cerificate or answer my emails. Forty balls cast, lube made, tools fettling in hand, powder in the cupboard.

I bought a cannon from ADK Bigfoot (Forum member). He suggested, and supplied, 35mm film canisters.
Filled with shot or bbs shreds a target quite nicely!

Back