• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on Pedersoli kit flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbrown

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have my eye on a Dixie Pedersoli Scout carbine kit in .50 cal. I looked at the Lyman Great Plains, but it is similar to the Hawken-style caplock I already have. I wanted something different in a flintlock. The scout is a shortened version of their Pennsylvania rifle. My question - anyone have experience with the Pedersoli rifle kits in general or this rifle specifically? Dixie says it is Skill Level 1, which should not be too hard for a newbie. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index.../FK3295+Pedersoli+Scout+Carbine+.45+Flint+Kit

I would not. The style details are pretty sad. Pedersoli uses a super long chambered breech plug which causes ignition problems. It looks like a CVA/ Traditions.

I have built four Kibler kits. They are easy to assemble. Jim has published utube videos that will get you through it step by step. The design details are spot on. The quality of the parts is as good as it gets. I strongly suggest that a Kibler Southern is the best possible choice for a light weight long rifle kit. Nobody else is in the same zip code. When you are done you will have a beautiful, quality rifle you can be proud of. His kits are so good that some old school long rifle builders consider them to be cheating.

I have my eye on a Dixie Pedersoli Scout carbine kit in .50 cal. I looked at the Lyman Great Plains, but it is similar to the Hawken-style caplock I already have. I wanted something different in a flintlock. The scout is a shortened version of their Pennsylvania rifle. My question - anyone have experience with the Pedersoli rifle kits in general or this rifle specifically? Dixie says it is Skill Level 1, which should not be too hard for a newbie. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Almost finished with a 45 cal scout flintlock. Was an impulse buy because of the sale Dixie is having now. "Kit" is an assembled rifle in the rough. Only special tool needed was a safe sided dovetail file for the front sight install. Stock had a knot and a weird grain. Used a dark stain to cover it. End of the day, I'll have a tiny, skinny and light rifle. What I wanted. I'm a newbie builder:), BTW.

Last edited:
Back