• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

advice not taken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is truly frustrating and disappointing when you're "in the know" and try to help someone who does the exact opposite. I was trying to help a friend who was having trouble with Minnie's key holing from his civil war replica. When I suggested trying different sized Minnie's based on what I've read from experienced CW shooters here, he told me that he just needed the right powder charge and it had nothing to do with Minnie size. I mentioned the sizable amount of info available on this forum and he told me I'm just believing a bunch of internet BS. Ok, his loss and I get ragged hole groups.
Or the other side of the coin, when people are kinda well meaning but end up interfering, like when a guy was watching me use paper cartridges in a Parker-Hale Enfield, and he's like "you know you should clean the bore between shots and probably use a powder measure instead of putting them in paper".......I'm like, the whole point of Minie balls and paper cartridges is to not have to do either of those things.......

I loaded blanks in my repro 1860 Army about 1994 or so and my Dad took it to his school, to fire it and show his students what a Civil War revolver looked like when it was fired.

Also , my history teacher brought his 03 Springfield into class during the WWI lesson and let us all handle it.

Stuff like this is a distant memory now and would never happen now.
Stupidity and ignorance has tripled since then. Those days were the days of common sense.

Bought our house new in 1999. The subdivision wasn't even half built at the time.I made sure there was no mention of an HOA in any paperwork. After it was complete we received a letter telling us we had to attend a mandatory meeting to start an HOA. Most of us did not want anything to do with it. There were some that were too happy with the idea. The meeting was overflowing. The builders attorney was having a real bad time saying anything because we made sure he knew he was not going to get an HOA started. He could not believe we did not want it. Actually made a bunch of threats of lawsuits against us.

Nothing ever came of it, no HOA. end of story. Still a really nice well maintained subdivision.

Don

What does HOA have to do with muzzleloading?
Walk
Was thinking the same thing but kinda enjoyed reading the comments. It’s all a very foreign, unknown thing to me.
But on the topic, not only do people know less now, but have no desire to learn and understand the world around them. The ethic of personal responsibility is sadly missing.

My dear old Dad used to tell me "Boy, if can't learn you have to feel". Be it physical, legal or financial pain he knew what he was talking about.
😄 That is something like what I was always told... Except it sounded more like...son if you're going to be dumb you got to be tough...but I truly believe ... They were talking about the same thing

Is popular to bash hoa's these days. And God knows, many little Hitlers abound, but where I live, the township made the developers start the hoa. Just changing the rules is a nightmare. Anyway, the local gubment likes it as they aren't responsible for the drains.
One thing about an HOA/POA as I have said before....no one make you live there.

Yeah - They're everywhere.....

I have a couple of friends that wanted the recipe for some of the food dishes I cook, but don't hesitate to make ingredient substitutions - then wonder why their version doesn't taste like mine. (DOH)
Yep, and Google any recipe and read the after comments, everybody wants to add their own thing. Human nature I guess.

Bought our house new in 1999. The subdivision wasn't even half built at the time.I made sure there was no mention of an HOA in any paperwork. After it was complete we received a letter telling us we had to attend a mandatory meeting to start an HOA. Most of us did not want anything to do with it. There were some that were too happy with the idea. The meeting was overflowing. The builders attorney was having a real bad time saying anything because we made sure he knew he was not going to get an HOA started. He could not believe we did not want it. Actually made a bunch of threats of lawsuits against us.

Nothing ever came of it, no HOA. end of story. Still a really nice well maintained subdivision.

Don
Stand and fight or kneel in slavery. You did real good.

Do NOT loan those guys anything with moving or removable parts. Goes double for in-laws.

Great advice. I knew a guy once who could have broken a bath sponge. Things that you swore were unbreakable would just disintegrate in his hands, leaving him looking at the detritus with an open mouth.

I gave up on trying to help him do stuff after I'd gone around to his house to help him put a small window in his garage - when I got there he was holding a piece of rag to staunch the flow of vital fluid coming from his hand - he'd started without me, and tried to nail the glass into the frame.

Incredibly, he was a well-regarded large animal veterinarian.....

I really don't understand how in the land of the free you guys got to the point of having to have permission off your neighbours to do what you want to your own property.

Is there any push to end that rubbish?
Because they were stupid enough to buy it there , they knew it and signed the freaking agreement. So I laugh at those in a HOA

Is popular to bash hoa's these days. And God knows, many little Hitlers abound, but where I live, the township made the developers start the hoa. Just changing the rules is a nightmare. Anyway, the local gubment likes it as they aren't responsible for the drains.
Really not bashing....just stating the truth.

Last year I helped a friend who is a hunting season ml'er only get his two guns in order. I gave him instructions, supplies and even a couple tools for maintaining the rifles. One of them was (yep, past tense 'was') an inline. Well, he loaded that monstrosity, ignored almost everything I told him to do and popped the cap with no ignition to watch Brother Buck just walk away. He took it to a machinist who used an impact wrench to remove the breech. In the process the threads and part of the barrel broke off. That mess is now in the trash. He has a good experienced ml'er friend (me) who could have helped him but, instead, he went the impact wrench route.:dunno: And,- AND - he has a CVA Mountain Rifle also. Used that for his hunt and, again, let Bro Buck walk off. He used #10 caps on a #11 nipple. Oh, well. I did what I could for him.
You can't fix stupid but you can numb it with 🤪

Latest posts

Back