• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

advice not taken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the many mistakes we’ve made in our schools is stopping the industrial arts classes. We really can’t blame kids for not knowing how to do things if we don’t teach them. I try to teach my grandkids how to do things and they love it (unless it’s long division).Their parents either don’t know or they are too busy. When you try to show someone and he won’t listen, well, that’s another issue.

Doesn't help when store clerks don't know sic'em are selling muzzleloaders. Many years ago, a lady came to the Sheriff's office holding a paper sack with exploded caplock revolver parts. Christmas present for husband - pistol and "everything he needs". First shot blew it apart. Clerk sold her smokeless powder. Complaint was the store refused to give her money back. I called the owner ..she got a refund.

Just because someone's behind the counter doesn't mean they know stuff.

Last year I helped a friend who is a hunting season ml'er only get his two guns in order. I gave him instructions, supplies and even a couple tools for maintaining the rifles. One of them was (yep, past tense 'was') an inline. Well, he loaded that monstrosity, ignored almost everything I told him to do and popped the cap with no ignition to watch Brother Buck just walk away. He took it to a machinist who used an impact wrench to remove the breech. In the process the threads and part of the barrel broke off. That mess is now in the trash. He has a good experienced ml'er friend (me) who could have helped him but, instead, he went the impact wrench route.:dunno: And,- AND - he has a CVA Mountain Rifle also. Used that for his hunt and, again, let Bro Buck walk off. He used #10 caps on a #11 nipple. Oh, well. I did what I could for him.
In much earlier times they got selected out of the gene pool BEFORE they reproduced. Thankful no one was hurt besides the iron.

I loved shop when I was in school. Heck the welding class and the automotive class was great too. We used to repair the farmers and ranchers equipment a lot. We were getting really good at welding. We actually did stuff in class. nowadays the classes sweep the floors and watch movies. the kids are not allowed to do anything.
I still remember auto shop. When Ford came out with the 289 we got one for our class. We tore it down rebuilt it just for the experience. Wood shop was great and so was the mechanical drafting shop.

Doesn't help when store clerks don't know sic'em are selling muzzleloaders. Many years ago, a lady came to the Sheriff's office holding a paper sack with exploded caplock revolver parts. Christmas present for husband - pistol and "everything he needs". First shot blew it apart. Clerk sold her smokeless powder. Complaint was the store refused to give her money back. I called the owner ..she got a refund.

Just because someone's behind the counter doesn't mean they know stuff.
ESPECIALLY IN THIS DAY AND AGE!!!!

Not a warning but sensible advice to my neighbor using a puny electric 1000 PSI electric pressure cleaner to pressure clean his small driveway and sidewalk area.

We live in a gated community and the HOA requires the homeowner to clean the driveway and sidewalk around ones property. Here in Florida the humidity is terrible and pavers/sidewalks get filthy black from mildew requiring at least twice a year cleaning.

I had a similar machine and sold it and switched to a 3000 PSI gas powered unit and purchased a caster surface cleaner well worth the $67 cause in combination with the higher PSI washer the cleaning chores get cut down to a good 1/4 of the time using an electric cleaner and NO surface cleaner as my neighbor does.

I suggested last year to upgrade or to at least get a surface cleaner rated for his lower PSI unit that will cut down his work time by over half. Well, he’s been out there for the last 2 days pressure cleaning an area that with a higher PSI unit and surface cleaner would have taken him TOPS 4-5 hours. 🤦‍♂️

Not a warning but sensible advice to my neighbor using a puny electric 1000 PSI electric pressure cleaner to pressure clean his small driveway and sidewalk area.

We live in a gated community and the HOA requires the homeowner to clean the driveway and sidewalk around ones property. Here in Florida the humidity is terrible and pavers/sidewalks get filthy black from mildew requiring at least twice a year cleaning.

I had a similar machine and sold it and switched to a 3000 PSI gas powered unit and purchased a caster surface cleaner well worth the $67 cause in combination with the higher PSI washer the cleaning chores get cut down to a good 1/4 of the time using an electric cleaner and NO surface cleaner as my neighbor does.

I suggested last year to upgrade or to at least get a surface cleaner rated for his lower PSI unit that will cut down his work time by over half. Well, he’s been out there for the last 2 days pressure cleaning an area that with a higher PSI unit and surface cleaner would have taken him TOPS 4-5 hours. 🤦‍♂️
Well, like one of the guys commented on this thread: "you can lead a horse to water.....".
On The HOA thing. I was looking to buy some property to put a house on in the mountains of northern Colorado about 15+ years ago. I already owned a home on acreage in Southern Colorado, but, just loved the northern part. Well the realtor took me to a mountain area called Rabbit Ears village. I believe it was a 10 acre property and very nice. Talked to one of the HOA board members who told me not allowed to fence the property, house plans had to be approved by the HOA, and a few other you can't do this, and you can't do that. He also told me that he was security for the community, so I pulled my badge and told him that I was security for the County! Kind of shut this stuffed shirt up. Then I asked him, "who is going to pay the mortgage on this place if I buy it"? He looked at me kind of in awe and said well of course you are. I told him, "If I'm paying the mortgage, then I reckon I can do what I want on MY property as long as it's within the law'!! Looked at the realtor and told him let's go, I wouldn't live here if you paid for it and gave it to me for free!!

Well, like one of the guys commented on this thread: "you can lead a horse to water.....".
On The HOA thing. I was looking to buy some property to put a house on in the mountains of northern Colorado about 15+ years ago. I already owned a home on acreage in Southern Colorado, but, just loved the northern part. Well the realtor took me to a mountain area called Rabbit Ears village. I believe it was a 10 acre property and very nice. Talked to one of the HOA board members who told me not allowed to fence the property, house plans had to be approved by the HOA, and a few other you can't do this, and you can't do that. He also told me that he was security for the community, so I pulled my badge and told him that I was security for the County! Kind of shut this stuffed shirt up. Then I asked him, "who is going to pay the mortgage on this place if I buy it"? He looked at me kind of in awe and said well of course you are. I told him, "If I'm paying the mortgage, then I reckon I can do what I want on MY property as long as it's within the law'!! Looked at the realtor and told him let's go, I wouldn't live here if you paid for it and gave it to me for free!!
Is popular to bash hoa's these days. And God knows, many little Hitlers abound, but where I live, the township made the developers start the hoa. Just changing the rules is a nightmare. Anyway, the local gubment likes it as they aren't responsible for the drains.

Is popular to bash hoa's these days. And God knows, many little Hitlers abound, but where I live, the township made the developers start the hoa. Just changing the rules is a nightmare. Anyway, the local gubment likes it as they aren't responsible for the drains.
A lot of lawsuits against them also. Kind of like living in a dictatorship that YOU pay for. One good thing about an HOA though....you don't have to live with them!

Seems to me the little Hitler's run the HOA's:eek:
😊

Not a fan of HOAs either. Believe you me, never again. I repainted my house and trim the same color I had before and the HOA guy said I needed prior permission, I asked him if I had changed anything about the house except adding a fresh coat of the identical paint I had on the walls before. He said no, so why do I need your approval then? That quickly ended the conversation.

Not a fan of HOAs either. Believe you me, never again. I repainted my house and trim the same color I had before and the HOA guy said I needed prior permission, I asked him if I had changed anything about the house except adding a fresh coat of the identical paint I had on the walls before. He said no, so why do I need your approval then? That quickly ended the conversation.
Awesome. Yeah I have no patience with those wannbe dictators.

I really don't understand how in the land of the free you guys got to the point of having to have permission off your neighbours to do what you want to your own property.

Is there any push to end that rubbish?
On the contrary, it’s getting hard to find a house without a freaking HOA. Non HOA areas are around, just have to look but usually the more desirable neighborhoods have HOAs. I understand the reasoning is to keep the area clean and uniform but sometimes they overstep their boundaries.

I really don't understand how in the land of the free you guys got to the point of having to have permission off your neighbours to do what you want to your own property.

Is there any push to end that rubbish?
First I never did nor would I ever buy in a POA or HOA!! I've been reading many articles where the residents are filing lawsuits against them and winning big time. It's just a matter of pride to keep your house and property nicely kept.

On the contrary, it’s getting hard to find a house without a freaking HOA. Non HOA areas are around, just have to look but usually the more desirable neighborhoods have HOAs. I understand the reasoning is to keep the area clean and uniform but sometimes they overstep their boundaries.
HOA’s can put liens on your property if you don’t comply with their rules. That is total BS.

I'm probably half as old as most forum members but even when I was in year 7 the librarian would take us out the back of the school oval and we'd shoot clays into the adjacent paddock while kids were kicking the football and whatnot behind us. I even used to bring my gun to school (in a locked case). Now there is no way on gods green earth either of those things would be allowed.
I loaded blanks in my repro 1860 Army about 1994 or so and my Dad took it to his school, to fire it and show his students what a Civil War revolver looked like when it was fired.

Also , my history teacher brought his 03 Springfield into class during the WWI lesson and let us all handle it.

Stuff like this is a distant memory now and would never happen now.

Back