• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

advice not taken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that if you’re going to have a ml season it should require a proper ml. Pennsylvania used to require a flintlock with primitive sights (no screws). I’m not sure that’s how they do it now but that always made sense to me.
They have both. A flintlock only season and an anything goes “muzzleloader” season.

I live in Pa. , and due to age , haven't paid much attention to it's m/l laws for about the last 10 yrs.. I think they allow peep sights and slugs in the primitive after Christmas season , but that's it , flintlock only.. When I was ridge to ridge mobile , and could see the sights , peeps and slugs had no matter to me. Peep sights rendering 4" , 50 yd. groups , and ladder stands to sleep in aren't so bad. ....oldwood

My wife's family is the worst for this. They'll have something nice, ignore basic maintenance and care, and want me to fix it when it just inexplicably doesn't work anymore (with the "I'm just as shocked as you are!" look on their face).

My brother in law wanted to get into muzzleloading. Pretty much the same scenario. Wouldn't let me give him real black powder, insisted on Pyrodex. Left oil in the bore after cleaning (like I specifically told him not to). Popped two caps at a buck with no ignition and got mad at the gun.

Last edited:
Do NOT loan those guys anything with moving or removable parts. Goes double for in-laws.

My wife's family is the worst for this. They'll have something nice, ignore basic maintenance and care, and want me to fix it when it just inexplicably doesn't work anymore

I have some family that lives across the fence who are the same way...but with tractors and equipment.

"Hey can you come look at this tractor? It won't shift."---I end up using an entire QUART of oil freeing up the gear selector and accompanying linkages. ZERO care for maintenance or longevity.

I don't even want to imagine what a muzzleloader would look like a year after purchase by them.

I have some family that lives across the fence who are the same way...but with tractors and equipment.

"Hey can you come look at this tractor? It won't shift."---I end up using an entire QUART of oil freeing up the gear selector and accompanying linkages. ZERO care for maintenance or longevity.

I don't even want to imagine what a muzzleloader would look like a year after purchase by them.
Oh it's equipment too. A few years back my wife wanted me to go look at her dad's mower because it wouldn't start. He had it around back of his shed when I got there.
Him: "Damn thing won't start. I just bought it last summer. It's almost brand new."
Me: "When did it run last?"
Him: "Last fall, when I cut the grass for the last time."
Me: "It was running good then?"
Him: "Yeah, it was running fine when I parked it right here."
Me: "RIGHT HERE?"
Him: "Yeah, right here."
Me: "Outside?"
Him: "Yeah, right where it's sitting."
Me: "All winter?"
Him: "Yeah."
Me: "Did you at least cover it up?"
Him: "No, why?"
Me: 😐

IMHO a person should have to pass a mechanical aptitude test in order to own tractors or farm equipment. I've seen some pretty crazy stuff over the years.

Is ethanol laden gasoline the Pyrodex of the internal combustion engine world? 🤔
That's probably the best comparison I've ever heard. Marginally acceptable for some applications, total garbage for others, never as good as the original, but generally accepted as a "better" replacement because it meets some made up set of rules.

I refer to these people as askholes. They ask for advice because of your expertise and experience then do the opposite. Often they come back with there tail between there legs wanting you to FIX there bad decisions.
Lol. I remember at work one time I had a fellow supervise ask me “why is it that you ask peoples opinions of an idea of yours, but don’t always follow the feedback?” My response was that I wasn’t seeking how to do it, or if to do it, as I was asking if I missed anything in my analysis, or if I was completely “off base”, etc.
Not all asking a question are idiots! Those mentioned above appear to be, but I’d bet they are way smarter than you or I at other aspects in life.
Just saying, don’t put yourself on a pedicel so high that it hurts when you fall off!
Walk

It is truly frustrating and disappointing when you're "in the know" and try to help someone who does the exact opposite. I was trying to help a friend who was having trouble with Minnie's key holing from his civil war replica. When I suggested trying different sized Minnie's based on what I've read from experienced CW shooters here, he told me that he just needed the right powder charge and it had nothing to do with Minnie size. I mentioned the sizable amount of info available on this forum and he told me I'm just believing a bunch of internet BS. Ok, his loss and I get ragged hole groups.

I knew mankind was in trouble when a ladder from Home Depot comes with a 100 page instruction manual with hundreds of things you are not supposed to do with the ladder and pages upon pages of dangerous things that can kill you using a ladder. Plus they included pictures and a table of contents too. A guy was looking at the ladders as I walked by and he asked me if they had videos he could watch about how to use a ladder. Go figure?

Your post reminds me of a friend I had that never got the hang of cleaning muzzle loaders. After a few "failure to fire" chances at bucks ,I got his cap lock rifle before deer season started and cleaned it good and had it ready to shoot. He got a large doe on opening day. Two days later he had a BIG buck walk right past his stand. I asked him why he did not shoot it? His reply was that the rifle would not fire. He had decided to use his Flint lock instead of the cap lock. I had not cleaned the flint lock!

Last year I helped a friend who is a hunting season ml'er only get his two guns in order. I gave him instructions, supplies and even a couple tools for maintaining the rifles. One of them was (yep, past tense 'was') an inline. Well, he loaded that monstrosity, ignored almost everything I told him to do and popped the cap with no ignition to watch Brother Buck just walk away. He took it to a machinist who used an impact wrench to remove the breech. In the process the threads and part of the barrel broke off. That mess is now in the trash. He has a good experienced ml'er friend (me) who could have helped him but, instead, he went the impact wrench route.:dunno: And,- AND - he has a CVA Mountain Rifle also. Used that for his hunt and, again, let Bro Buck walk off. He used #10 caps on a #11 nipple. Oh, well. I did what I could for him.
They're now selling an inline thing that you put onto an AR lower receiver! Uses shotgun caps, etc.

Last year I helped a friend who is a hunting season ml'er only get his two guns in order. I gave him instructions, supplies and even a couple tools for maintaining the rifles. One of them was (yep, past tense 'was') an inline. Well, he loaded that monstrosity, ignored almost everything I told him to do and popped the cap with no ignition to watch Brother Buck just walk away. He took it to a machinist who used an impact wrench to remove the breech. In the process the threads and part of the barrel broke off. That mess is now in the trash. He has a good experienced ml'er friend (me) who could have helped him but, instead, he went the impact wrench route.:dunno: And,- AND - he has a CVA Mountain Rifle also. Used that for his hunt and, again, let Bro Buck walk off. He used #10 caps on a #11 nipple. Oh, well. I did what I could for him.
A fellow on this forum once said, "you can't fix stupid, but you can numb it with a 2x4"!!

I knew mankind was in trouble when a ladder from Home Depot comes with a 100 page instruction manual with hundreds of things you are not supposed to do with the ladder and pages upon pages of dangerous things that can kill you using a ladder. Plus they included pictures and a table of contents too. A guy was looking at the ladders as I walked by and he asked me if they had videos he could watch about how to use a ladder. Go figure?
I knew mankind was in trouble, when they had to put instructions on a shampoo bottle!

And we are in awe at the condition of this Country today?!! Doomed!

Back