• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Advice needed for stock chip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toneloc

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So wanted to get some input on this chipped out part of my stock. Early on had a “can’t have nothing nice” type moment and chipped a small part of the toe. Not even sure when it happened, so unfortunately couldn’t locate the broken chunk.

Initially I was thinking about a toe plate anyhow, so I wasn’t too upset.

Now that I’m sanding, that little area probably has the best figure on the stock…..and I’m sort of not wanting to cover it up.

Not sure I could get away with sanding an acute angle to clean up.

Thoughts?
32194825-DB57-4FC9-8570-C0461D20B9C1.jpeg

B00F0D9D-F9A6-4E14-9C69-B99FD019A259.jpeg

839517D4-8FCA-4BF0-81E9-B7E38466E8BD.jpeg

Maybe not exactly correct but you could radius the end of the butt enough to take the chipped area out. The other thing that could be done is just use enough of a toe plate to take out the chipped area perhaps a inch or two long. I think I would go with the shorter toe plate.

Your options are three basic things.
Fill it in.
Hide it.
Remove material around it to change the line.

Simple. Fit a little piece of wood and glue it on, then shape it down to match the butt. If you do it well, and watch the grain direction, it will be nearly invisible. Even if you can see it, it will still look a lot better than cutting down the butt to try to get rid of the chipped area.

Simple. Fit a little piece of wood and glue it on, then shape it down to match the butt. If you do it well, and watch the grain direction, it will be nearly invisible. Even if you can see it, it will still look a lot better than cutting down the butt to try to get rid of the chipped area.
Sage advice from @Stophel ,
It's tiny, Nobody but you will see the band-aid if you do what @Colonial Boy just said, You could add a toe plate and make it even smaller

Like the plan to put a little patch. Should the butt plate over hang like it does? Or should that be ground back?

There is a reason why so many original guns had toe plates as that is an area apt to break out from even a minor bump on the toe. I would inlet a short toe plate and interlock it with the buttplate.

On my last rifle assembly I had the same issue. A toe plate was insufficient to cover it. The grain is running in a bad direction in that spot. That makes chipping out a problem. I made three attempts. I lost the chip, if I had it I would have glued it back on with super glue. I didn't have it. I made a replacement chip, it did not stay on. I tried again, no dice. I cut off a large chunk and made a replacement piece out of similar wood with the same grain orientation. I use tiny brass pins and epoxy. That one stayed. When I installed the toe plate inlet I use a brand new milling cutter run at hihg speed and fed very slow. All of but plate fitting in the chip area was done with a feather touch and always cutting toward the middle.

If you use the same wood, orient the grain the same, and match the grain pattern, grafted on pieces are nearly invisible.

Back