• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice from horn builders.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got this little horn that I would like to make for a day horn. It's about 11 inches on the outside curve and probably would hold about 1/2 pound of powder. It's a really nice amber color and will look good when finished.
Here's the question I've made horns before but never a banded one. When using rings cut from another horn do you boil them and slip them on hot and let dry or do you fit them just dry? I guess my thinking is that horn will act like rawhide and shrink as it cools.
I'm planning to put two bands at the spout end and one at the plug end.

Attachments

• IMGP0576.JPG
    IMGP0576.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 75
Here's the question I've made horns before but never a banded one. When using rings cut from another horn do you boil them and slip them on hot and let dry or do you fit them just dry?

Don't try to boil them. They bounce back with no memory. You have to get oil and a deep fryer dedicated to horning that you keep in the shop. If it gets mixed up in the kitchen the wife will put an end to your hobby. Get your own deep fryer and keep it out there with the wrenches and grease guns. :thumb:
Trust me. Been there, done this.

Don't try to boil them. They bounce back with no memory. You have to get oil and a deep fryer dedicated to horning that you keep in the shop. If it gets mixed up in the kitchen the wife will put an end to your hobby. Get your own deep fryer and keep it out there with the wrenches and grease guns. :thumb:
Trust me. Been there, done this.
Thanks, my wife almost put a end to my hunting when I try to cook a racoon in the house once really don't want to try that again....:rolleyes:
I've already started on the horn and decided just to cut what bands I can get. I'm sure I'll do another and appreciate the advice.

Back