Advice from horn builders.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got this little horn that I would like to make for a day horn. It's about 11 inches on the outside curve and probably would hold about 1/2 pound of powder. It's a really nice amber color and will look good when finished.
Here's the question I've made horns before but never a banded one. When using rings cut from another horn do you boil them and slip them on hot and let dry or do you fit them just dry? I guess my thinking is that horn will act like rawhide and shrink as it cools.
I'm planning to put two bands at the spout end and one at the plug end.

Attachments

Ames

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
Here's the question I've made horns before but never a banded one. When using rings cut from another horn do you boil them and slip them on hot and let dry or do you fit them just dry?
Don't try to boil them. They bounce back with no memory. You have to get oil and a deep fryer dedicated to horning that you keep in the shop. If it gets mixed up in the kitchen the wife will put an end to your hobby. Get your own deep fryer and keep it out there with the wrenches and grease guns. :thumb:
Trust me. Been there, done this.

andy52

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Don't try to boil them. They bounce back with no memory. You have to get oil and a deep fryer dedicated to horning that you keep in the shop. If it gets mixed up in the kitchen the wife will put an end to your hobby. Get your own deep fryer and keep it out there with the wrenches and grease guns. :thumb:
Trust me. Been there, done this.
Thanks, my wife almost put a end to my hunting when I try to cook a racoon in the house once really don't want to try that again....:rolleyes:
I've already started on the horn and decided just to cut what bands I can get. I'm sure I'll do another and appreciate the advice.

Ames

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
Not growing up in "the country" you should have heard the yelling from my house when my mother came home to find me frying up some grey squirrels I shot off her bird feeders in HER frying pans. I think the echo's of her yelling at me are still bouncing around. 🤪