• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Advice for pinning ramrod tips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for some info on how to do a clean pinning job on my ramrods - like what size drill bit, pin material, methods that work versus ones that gave you trouble?

I am confident in the actual work, just trying to educate myself before getting started.

I’ve never lost a tip during cleaning and I would like to keep it that way if I can help it!

Thanks!

I've used brass, and also piano wire. The brass is much easier to peen the ends over and once sanded you can hardly notice them.

The piano wire makes a nice contrasting color against a brass tip, but it's harder to work into the final shape, but it is doable with patience.

I slide the rod in, drill a hole that crosses the growth rings, then press a tiny piece of beeswax in the opening of the threads to keep epoxy out of the threads. Then epoxy the ramrod and slide it in and put a pin through the hole. Set aside and file it clean when it's set. I use a 1/16" drill and matching size finishing nail.

If it's a range rod, same process but solder it like you would copper pipe with the pin in place. No wax needed.

Looking for some info on how to do a clean pinning job on my ramrods - like what size drill bit, pin material, methods that work versus ones that gave you trouble?

I am confident in the actual work, just trying to educate myself before getting started.

I’ve never lost a tip during cleaning and I would like to keep it that way if I can help it!

Thanks!

I use a 1/16 drill bit and a brass pin.

I drill then counter sink both sides of the tip.

Epoxy fill the tip then pin the tip on. After it dries, I trim the pin down and peen both ends.

Another thing you can do is make a ramrod tip sleeve.

The sleeve is just a few thousand shy so it friction holds after tapping it on, then cross pin it

Back