• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adjusting set triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .50 CVA with another too-light trigger. I pulled it out and looked at the sear and wasn't able to find a way to increase the weight (I have the adjusting screw completely out), so I just ordered another one.

We will see if another trigger has the same problem.

I have a .50 CVA with another too-light trigger. I pulled it out and looked at the sear and wasn't able to find a way to increase the weight (I have the adjusting screw completely out), so I just ordered another one.

We will see if another trigger has the same problem.
I finally pulled out the lock and backed out the sear adjustment screw 2 full turns. Seems like that did the trick. The trigger pull is a bit firmer now. It was way too light before. The gun would fire when I barely touched the trigger.
I was thinking about ordering another trigger assembly from the gun works if I couldn't adjustment mine.

I finally pulled out the lock and backed out the sear adjustment screw 2 full turns. Seems like that did the trick.
Glad ya found the fix. I think I already mentioned, but there is a Gremlin out there who's mischievous act is to change the setting of that screw! I swear he only does it after you have it set just where you want it, and have the rifle packed for transport to the range or an event,, because it's always out of adjustment the next time you want to use the rifle!!
A bottle of clear nail polish is a staple in my shooting box. Sort of a makeshift "loctite", a little dab on the threads while adjusting dries just gummy enough to help screws stay in place while not being too hard to clean off at a later date. It comes in handy with all manner of wiggely-loose screws, nut's an bolts found on these older rifles.
Another caveat of these locks; is a shoulder on the inside of the hammer. If you remove the nipple, you can "dry-fire" the lock and that shoulder stops the fall on the top of the lock plate. So you can "practice" the trigger/lock settings without causing damage to the nipple.

My CVA Hawken has a spooky light trigger too. While it is drop safe it is way to light. So light that just putting the trigger pull scale on the trigger sets it off. That being said she aint for hunting until I too work through this issue.
Weight of trigger release is whatever works best for you. My set triggers measure in ounces. Hunting or target, but anyone else may not like them set as I do. Front triggers on mine are around 1 1/2 to 2lbs. I don't believe I have any guns with triggers above 2lb.

Most percussion locks don't have a stop ledge on the hammer. The nipple stops the hammer. Without a nipple the bridle screw and bridle will take a beating stopping the hammer. Also without a stop the tumbler and mainspring might hit the wood and break it.

Just to add that I have Raynauds disease in my right hand. It sometimes affects me at the worst time while hunting, that's why a good firm trigger pull is so important to me.

Latest posts

Back