• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ADDITONAL QUESTIONS ON SHIPPING GUNS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom berwinkle

40 Cal
Reaction score
I hope someone could answer a few questions. Shipping by USPS on any guns in long boxes that look like they would contain a long gun, Is it still a chance that it would be be robbed? Moore safer than UPS? also I just had a small box 14in. by 6in. from WV. to Texas weight was only 4lbs. ins. 150.00 and I looked at every shipping method that USPS had and it still cost 11.50. Does this seam to high? I hate to see what a rifle will cost. I hate to send the shipping and ins. cost to a buyer. Have shipping rates gone up that much in the last two years?

That price doesn't seem too high and yes the USPS rates keep going up but generally are much cheaper and more convenient than UPS. As far as I'm concerned shipping a rifle via USPS is about the safest possible way and generally the cheapest too. BTW I got the shoulder stock this morning and thanks. :)

Shipping on a rifle will depend on how far you ship, but usually in the neighborhood of $50 USPS Priority Mail. Write: "FRAGILE!! OPTICAL EQUIPMENT" on the box. Probably won't do any good, but you will feel better about it. ;)

The price is good, as long as, it requires you to sign for your package and it isn't left on the porch.

October, 2018 I shipped a muzzleloader from Indiana to Texas USPS for $13.50 plus insurance. I disassembled it into stock and barrel. The box was about 40 inches by 4 inches square. I listed it as muzzleloader parts. Two weeks ago I mailed a Hawken stock from Indiana to Illinois near St. Louis for $12.50 plus insurances. So I think their prices have gone up. But you can track them right up to delivery. Still I would opted for insurance and signature required.

It's not exactly off topic so I'll ask, do you folks think the insurance is worth buying?

I've heard more than a few tales where trying to collect on a insured damaged item was a nightmare and it often resulted in nothing being paid.

Like I say, they are tales I've read on the web so I don't know if they are really true. Have any of you had something damaged or lost in transit and been able to actually recover the amount the insurance was supposedly for?

I'm asking because I really want to know.

No help here. I have always had good luck with shipping. Years ago I had a friend who built a rifle that got broken at the wrist by UPS. He told the adjuster it needed to be restocked. They paid him for building the new rifle, and he then repaired the broken one(already paid for). The buyer got both of them for the price of one and Frank got paid for two builds. Sometimes it works out.

Recently shipped a barrel by USPS across North Carolina for $15. Include insurance for $300 value. Got there in two days. Could not have driven it there for that $15.

Not sure what exactly ‘insurance’ buys. If a box shows up at its destination with a hole in the corner and nothing but bubble wrap and/or a trail styrofoam peanuts behind it, insurance at least gives you start point. No insurance, you just delivered an empty box with few, if any, recovery options. I buy insurance for peace of mind and the hope that whatever I have shipped has perceived value to the carrier and they will take care of it because they will be held responsible if damage occurs. False hope?

For what it is worth, have never personally attempted to collect insurance, but have refused shipments when obviously damaged.

I've heard more than a few tales where trying to collect on a insured damaged item was a nightmare and it often resulted in nothing being paid.

Yeah it's worth buying. A lot of that is just people that for whatever reason just don't like the USPS- but most of it is because they don't get the insurance instantly. Unless obvious damage it may take a while. If it was as quick as some would like there would be people mailing insured packages left and right and making claims. If you have a business that ships a lot of product they tend to be a bit faster too.

Latest posts

Back