• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Additional Drop-In Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman Deerstalker that I bought as my first rifle figuring the handy 24” barrel and 7.5 lbs would be just about ideal as a do all gun, especially as most hunting spots are brushy and none of the deer or pigs have been shot past 80 yds, though there have been opportunities.

But seeing Lyman sold drop-in, ready to go barrels are something like $250 gave me the idea of building a nice wooden gun box much like we see with presentation boxes for revolvers with fitted barrel sections. And so I figured I’d buy an additional Deerstalker barrel and compare the accuracy between the two and have the other turned into a 28 ga for small game hunting.

Lyman doesn’t seem to keep them in stock from what I understand, but I found a company (Midsouth Shooters) that sells them for something like $265. Are there any barrels that could be made ready to go for a reasonable price that I should look at? I don’t need match grade quality for this but wouldn’t mind spending a little more on a little better (<$350).

Call Tip Curtis and see what he has available, it might not be a “drop in” , but he has several barrels and most likely has something too fit your needs. 615-654-4445

ive got a lyman deerstalker .54 as well mine came with the ugly fiber optics I ditched them put a lyman 57sml rear peep and a lyman beed front sight. id love a .58 barrel in this as I bought my lyman for hunting pigs as well

You can get a Green Mountain drop-in for TC’s and with a few file strokes on the hook have a nice roundball barrel for about the same price as Midsouth wants for the same thing you already have.

Or get the Long Range Hunter version if you want to shoot heavy bullets for those hogs.

ive got a lyman deerstalker .54 as well mine came with the ugly fiber optics I ditched them put a lyman 57sml rear peep and a lyman beed front sight. id love a .58 barrel in this as I bought my lyman for hunting pigs as well

I thought I’d appreciate the fiber optic sights but don’t. I plan to place standard sights on my rifle and the fiber optics on the smoothbores.

I also intend on a longer barrel (Trade Rifle?) both for hunting fields and such topped with peeps and the smoothbore version meant for turkey (assuming things work out well enough) using heavier loads coupled with a choke.

I’m also enamored with the idea of a .40-.45 cal long barrel topped with a Malcolm scope for hunting long range (typically for me along fields) situations.

And then there’s the German short barreled rifle that the cool Hungarian guy did the video about some time back. I like the idea, but practically I think an 18” 28 ga would suit any real needs better than the .50 cal standard I’ve chosen. This would make a dandy wounded dangerous game option. I’m not sure if it could handle enough large enough buck to work nicely but a .530” PRB would really hurt and do no less than my 250 grn REAL for my .50 cal.

You can get a Green Mountain drop-in for TC’s and with a few file strokes on the hook have a nice roundball barrel for about the same price as Midsouth wants for the same thing you already have.

Or get the Long Range Hunter version if you want to shoot heavy bullets for those hogs.

So a little filing on the hook and I can be good to go? That simple?

I’ve contemplated a slow twist but like, for the .50, the “compromise” 1:48” twist as I can use my REALs as well for game the .50 might be marginal for.

If money weren’t an issue I’d actually opt for a a medium game and large game caliber instead of compromising on the .50 cal, a bit much for our little deer but ideal for some of my options, and with a conical I’d feel ok moving up to something much bigger or a bit more dangerous like black bear. I figure a ~.520” 250 REAL is similar to a .530” ball in terminal performance.

Last edited:
Well, there's the barrel key location and the length of the underrib.

I had a GM tc .54 drop in and decided to convert it to fit a GPR. It's not difficult, but it is the hard way to get there. Fitting the hook to the tang was pretty easy to do. It's just a little more effort to gather the parts and put them together.

Well, there's the barrel key location and the length of the underrib.

I had a GM tc .54 drop in and decided to convert it to fit a GPR. It's not difficult, but it is the hard way to get there. Fitting the hook to the tang was pretty easy to do. It's just a little more effort to gather the parts and put them together.

The Great Plains Rifle is an entirely different animal. The fore-end is longer and it has two wedge loops, neither of which are in the right positon for this swap.

To fit them to the single wedge rifles usually all that is required is fitting the hook to the tang. And occasionally the wedge may be a bit tight or loose which can happen even if you swap same brand barrels from gun to gun.

So, you are saying that the Deerstalker or the Traditions or CVA would take a TC drop in with no adjustment to the key loop location or the length of the under rib?

There is a slim chance that some Investarms rifles may interchange, but I believe that while the hook tang may be modified to fit. the distance to the barrel wedges will likely be different.

It is extremely unlikely that there will be interchangeability between CVA/Traditions and Thompson Center. There is no compatibility between my CVA Mountain Rifle and my T/C Hawken.

TC and CVA have different drum configurations. It might be possible to make it fit, but some grinding/filing of the lock plate would be needed.

There is a slim chance that some Investarms rifles may interchange, but I believe that while the hook tang may be modified to fit. the distance to the barrel wedges will likely be different.

It is extremely unlikely that there will be interchangeability between CVA/Traditions and Thompson Center. There is no compatibility between my CVA Mountain Rifle and my T/C Hawken.

That's what I was thinking about the investarms/TC fit. When I modded my tc gm drop in to fit the GPR it required soldering a correct length under rib and removing the tc configured key loop and installing two loops to fit.

Fitting to the tang was a ten minute project.

For those who asked and for those who tend to overthink things.

Stock/tang : Lyman/Investarms

Lock/triggers : TC

Barrel : Green Mountain Drop-in for TC’s

Attachments

• BAEFBA59-52D5-42DB-A349-0344E651DFA0.jpeg
    BAEFBA59-52D5-42DB-A349-0344E651DFA0.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DC1723D5-0F22-42D8-94A9-96276C7F5F89.jpeg
    DC1723D5-0F22-42D8-94A9-96276C7F5F89.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 71
I think I’ve done the same thing before.... a couple times!

Lol Some Guys

Ya’ ever built a Renegade flintlock pistol...
with a full length barrel?

I think that may be next.... can’t wait too hear em’

Lol

Back