• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding screw in breech plug to T/C Fire Hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wk4036

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a "pre screw in breech plug" T/C Fire Hawk that I would like to add a screw in breech plug to and am wondering if anyone has ever done this or do I just need to go out and buy a new gun with this as they are so much easier to clean.

Ya might try ask'n tha fellas in tha Modern Nuzzleloaders room, 'cause I have no idea what a Fire Hawk is!!

I thot all breech plugs screwed in! ::
Sorry I couldn't be of any help!
rollingb

I haven't worked on a In-Line but I will make some wild guesses anyway.
You probably will have to live with what you have unless you can buy a new barrel/reciever with the screw in breech.

As the breech plug must resist the full pressure of the load when the gun is fired, I would be reluctant to try modifying anything that is there.

As I say, I haven't worked on a Fire Hawk so my question may sound (and might be) dumb.
Is it possible to remove the barrel/reciever and stick the breech in a bucket of water? If it is, then it could be cleaned like my hook breech TC guns.
Another idea is to use the plastic tube that slides over the nipple and pump water thru that into the barrel. This kind of thing us used by several people on their sidelock guns.

Sorry I can't say I know what a T/C Fire Hawk is either. I guess you are talking about one of those centerfire M/Ls. I Can't help with the breechplug, but just go to your local hardware store and get 2 feet it's cheap gas line for a weekeater should be about right. Put a lead(brass) sinker on one end and put it in some of your cleaning solution. Plug the other end over the nipple and start running a patch up and down the barrel. The pumping action should have you cleaned up in jig time. Dry and oil or tallow and put away untill next time. I've been cleaning with this method for 10 years with soap & hot water saves time and works great.
Fox :thumbsup:

The firehawk and my t/c thunderhawk are the same inlines ,the breechplug is part of the barrel action.I find cleaning is a little bit of a pain,but not that bad .I clean with solvent only and only at the end of the season the gun is taken fully apart and oiled and stored.

Back