• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding a rear sight to smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received some photos of the gun.

I'm not sure about whether the rust is likely to be an issue, they don't have a bore scope and its half way around the country so I can't get my hands on it. There very well could be pitting.
Resized_2(1).jpg

I realise the flint is crooked but is there any other issues here? I'm concerned about how much rust there ans such there may be and what effect that will have
Resized_2(3).jpg

Basically looks new.
Still not a 100 yard gun.
Are you prepared to limit yourself to 60 yards?
The rust looks basically superficial.

The only use it would be then would be roaring in red stags, I have my two hawken caplocks that can stretch out. I mostly hunt areas where long shots are common, I hard to close the gap in open paddocks.

It would be pretty fun using shot for foxes and hares too. I could use it hunting hog deer, that's my only treestand hunting but they're a small target at 50m

Apparently I wasn't clear enough for people.

Small brass sight from an old junky caplock rifle I have laying around that I had replaced the rear sight on.
Glued on with Loctite Blackmax.
I stupidly thought there was enough implication here that the sight had been removed from the caplock and glued onto the smoothbore flintlock.

Actually
Another question for folks, there is no 4F in the country at the moment. If I were to mortar and pestle some 2F up fine and discard the dust would this make a usable priming powder?

I may be able to get some 3F but it is likely to cost $200-300 for a 2.2lb container with shipping as there is none available anywhere near me at the moment.

It works just fine using the "bore powder" for the prime, at least it works great in mine.

Back