• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Add another member to the Kibler club

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife is giving me a rifle for Christmas!

I said we need for a grader blade for the tractor more than I need a rifle but she said tough, it's a gift. So, I ordered a Kibler Colonial in 54 cal this week (with an upgrade to "fancy" maple).
But... I had 2nd thoughts and called Jim Kibler to talk about the rifle. After a short conversation, I changed the order to a 58 cal. Nice guy to talk to, I might add.

This is going to be a fun winter project. No rush, planning on taking 2+ months to finish - wanting to try my hand at wood carving, and at altering the "look" of the rifle. My goal is to come as close as possible (within the limits of the standard Colonial stock profile) to a TN / NC / Southwest VA regional rifle (roughly 1790 - 1810) -- before builders started making the "SMR/TN" style rifle. At first glance, it looks like I'll need to lengthen the wrist, drop the heel about a half inch by giving the comb a haircut, and replace the butt plate (also considering a double set trigger). I've got volumes 1 and 2 of RCA on the way, and am hoping that will provide more information on my quest. I realize the Kibler lock may be wrong for this time period, but the English/Kibler lock will have to do for now.

As an example, this rifle was supposedly made by a Thomas Simpson for a Colonel Gasper Mansker in 1791.
1608089504110.png

Another example, this rifle was supposedly made by a Jacob Young around 1805 - 1810 for a customer in Jackson County, TN.
1608092744621.png

You will be happier with the .58. At about 8.6 lbs., it is hefty but lighter than the other calibers. Set triggers will add about 1/4" to the LOP and require fillers on the sides of the trigger inlet, but if you are replacing the BP the LOP is flexible.

Brooks rifle 001.JPG

Congrats! NH... that’s a fine Christmas present!

I can’t wait too see how yours turn out, it sounds interesting!
Keep us posted.

You will be happier with the .58. At about 8.6 lbs., it is hefty but lighter than the other calibers. Set triggers will add about 1/4" to the LOP and require fillers on the sides of the trigger inlet, but if you are replacing the BP the LOP is flexible.

View attachment 54472
My GPR weighs in at around 9 pounds, so anything under that will feel light!

Back