• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Acronyms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum (about a month ago), and I’m enjoying all the conversations so far. I’ve noticed that a lot of acronyms are used frequently. For the purpose of clear, concise communication, I’ve decided to start this thread. Before starting it, I did a search for old threads about acronyms, and when I clicked on some, a page appeared that said “oops, something went wrong there.” So for the veteran members of this forum, forgive me for starting a conversation that has most likely happen in the past. But for us new guys, it will be very helpful. Below are just a few acronyms I’ve run into. Please feel free to add more, and hopefully as this thread grows, those of us who are rookies will be well informed.

TC Thompson Center
TOTW Track of the Wolf
DGW Dixie Gun Works
LCS Log Cabin Shop
OL Overall Length
LOP Length of Pull
SMR Southern Mountain Rifle
PRB Patched Round Ball
MLER Muzzleloader
FL Flintlock

These are just a few. Let’s keep this list going!

Moose

Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum (about a month ago), and I’m enjoying all the conversations so far. I’ve noticed that a lot of acronyms are used frequently. For the purpose of clear, concise communication, I’ve decided to start this thread. Before starting it, I did a search for old threads about acronyms, and when I clicked on some, a page appeared that said “oops, something went wrong there.” So for the veteran members of this forum, forgive me for starting a conversation that has most likely happen in the past. But for us new guys, it will be very helpful. Below are just a few acronyms I’ve run into. Please feel free to add more, and hopefully as this thread grows, those of us who are rookies will be well informed.

TC Thompson Center
TOTW Track of the Wolf
DGW Dixie Gun Works
LCS Log Cabin Shop
OL Overall Length
LOP Length of Pull
SMR Southern Mountain Rifle
PRB Patched Round Ball
MLER Muzzleloader
FL Flintlock

These are just a few. Let’s keep this list going!

Moose

OAL = overall length
MLR = muzzleloader
TGW = The Gun Works

T.H. = Touch Hole
F.H. = Flash Hole

Some of them are used in general for shooting,, well,,, by many of us,, still might be some that don't know them,,
P.O.A.= Point Of Aim
And
P.O.I. = Point of Impact
Would be examples

Don't see enough of (at least not meant sincerely),
I.M.H.O. = In My Humble Opinion
F.W.I.W. = For What It's Worth
I.I.R.C. = If I Recall Correctly
I.S.T.R. = I Seem To Recall

That didn’t take long to degenerate.

It's not over yet:

TLA: Three Letter Acronym

(That's courtesy of an old Russian statistician that's a good friend. Worked into a presentation during a research meeting where it had everyone puzzled -- and then embarrassed for not seeing it coming when someone asked what it meant.)

Why are they needed?
One quick answer: cell phones.
A follow-up quick answer: business documents of various sorts.

And finally ... If you're using a fairly lengthy phrase repeatedly in any type of document/letter/note/whatever, do you seriously want to burden both yourself and your reader with spelling it out in detail every time you use it? Of course, the FIRST time you use it you should spell it out (with an indication of the acronym you'll be using for it), and good style then may require you to spell it out in other contexts of the document, but the judicious use of acronyms should really AID coherence and intelligibility rather than detract from it. DYK (Don't you know)?

“My PRB is not producing acceptable accuracy, I’ll try a better size patch- as I’ll be making a order from TOW tomorrow”

Many know exactly what is said

A bit of information reading on subject makes you familiar with abbreviations- tho I agree that some times it’s best just to write it out, as it conveys point more efficiently.

I don’t think cell phones or key boards have anything to do with it. Perhaps not laziness either- just a different form of communication.

Last edited by a moderator:
One quick answer: cell phones.
A follow-up quick answer: business documents of various sorts.

And finally ... If you're using a fairly lengthy phrase repeatedly in any type of document/letter/note/whatever, do you seriously want to burden both yourself and your reader with spelling it out in detail every time you use it? Of course, the FIRST time you use it you should spell it out (with an indication of the acronym you'll be using for it), and good style then may require you to spell it out in other contexts of the document, but the judicious use of acronyms should really AID coherence and intelligibility rather than detract from it. DYK (Don't you know)?
what does that mean? :ghostly: :ghostly: :dunno:acronym for sarcastic!

The Forum is not a cell phone nor business document..

Why should I go to Goggle to find out what you are saying?

They are a form of lazy.

Yeah, they are a form of lazy, but also a pretty decently established way to communicate: NATO, USA, LLC, SAE, USMC, I feel like I could use any of these without causing undue confusion, and amongst a community dedicated to traditional muzzleloader shooting I don’t think a PRB or BP would really blow anyone’s mind. I dare say that even an SXS or MPBR could be fairly easily understood. Terms like BBL don’t make much sense to me, and (while not an abbreviation) the term “boolit” is silly and unnecessary, but probably means something to the people who use it.

Seriously though - we’re all here because of a shared interest in a technical discipline. These inevitably develop their own language. The word “frizzen” is just as mysterious as the abbreviation PRB, until you known what they mean. Then once you know, you know.

So I will add:
TRS: The Rifle Shoppe
AWI: American War of Independence (as the Revolutionary War is known outside of the U.S.A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back