• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Acronyms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or “My PRB is not producing acceptable accuracy, I’ll try a better size patch- as I’ll be making a order from TOW tomorrow”

Many know exactly what is said

A bit of information reading on subject makes you familiar with abbreviations- tho I agree that some times it’s best just to write it out, as it conveys point more efficiently.

I don’t think cell phones or key boards have anything to do with it. Perhaps not laziness either- just a different form of communication.
Years ago in the Air Force [I retired in 1973] we had a form of communications that finally drew the ire of the Generals. They tried to eliminate gobbledygook. Did not happen. Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
No kidding....

Trying to make it easy for the simpletons who don't understand acronyms.
Just because most of us don't use the periods, doesn't mean they aren't supposed to be there. But then, a lot of the posts I read here seem like people failed to get past 5th grade English.
Evr cinse I tok the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Reddin' Corse my comprension has improoved considerably. And you heard it right hear on Roller Derby.

The Forum is not a cell phone nor business document..
Definitely not a cell phone. But in terms of the types of communications in the forum -- particularly those more technical ones in which acronyms tend to flourish -- it is a kind of business document. Whether you call it a business document or not, a lot of threads on this forum about rifles, pistols, powder, history, etc. have the same goals in terms of exposition, presentation, and explanation. Acronyms, if used correctly and judiciously, can make reading such discussions easier rather than harder.

FishDfly" said:
Why should I go to Goggle to find out what you are saying?

Your choice. If a posting is unintelligible to me for ANY reason, I will likely just stop reading it. If I have the feeling that something worthwhile to me is being said, I might then expend a bit more effort in understanding it. Otherwise not. That's a personal choice I feel comfortable making.

FishDfly" said:
They are a form o lazy.

Or it could be just a minor thoughtlessness or similar to using a particular technical term (like "patent breech" or "frizzen").

I don't mind looking up important terminology, or terminology that helps me understand postings -- or figuring out what "TOW" means. 😂 Or "NMLRA" or "ML" or "BP" or "OP" or "TC" -- all of which you've used in postings yourself.

Draw that line wherever you like, and complain about those on the other side of it being lazy, but there's really no moral high ground on your own side. Using acronyms is probably not a moral failing -- just bad writing style if not done carefully.

Terms like BBL don’t make much sense to me, and (while not an abbreviation) the term “boolit” is silly and unnecessary, but probably means something to the people who use it.

Bbl is a very old term and was adopted by the automotive industry to designate carburetors (e.g. 2bbl, 4bbl, 6bbl, 2X4bbl)

A "boolit" differentiates between a commercially produced bullet (jacketed, etc) and a hand-cast lead projectile, round or otherwise. (boolit)

No kidding....

Trying to make it easy for the simpletons who don't understand acronyms.
Just because most of us don't use the periods, doesn't mean they aren't supposed to be there. But then, a lot of the posts I read here seem like people failed to get past 5th grade English.
Well there is one that if used will be, periods or no, lower case and spaced, deleted 😜

Actually by definition: An acronym is a word formed by abbreviating a phrase by combining certain letters of words in the phrase (often the first initial of each) into a single term. Common examples of acronyms include NASA (an acronym for National Aeronautics and Space Administration) and FOMO (a slang acronym for fear of missing out).

OK…..so…..I’m the guy who started this thread earlier today. My intent was not to begin a conversation about whether using acronyms is lazy, poor communication, or bad English. The fact is…many members on this forum use them. I was only trying to figure out what some of them are, as well as provide an avenue for understanding for many of the newest members. For those of you who contributed some, thank you. It is very much appreciated. I learned several new ones as a result of reading through all the posts just now. And after eating these yummy enchiladas my wife just made, I might wash them down with an ice cold PBR!!

I try not to use the acronyms, but I think it's good to know what they mean.

SMR- Southern Mountain Rifle
Not an acronym, but "smoothie" usually means a gun with a smooth bore, as opposed to a rifle
RR - Ramrod
LRB - Lead Round Ball

A few that baffled me at first:

LGS - Local Gun Store
BLO - Boiled Linseed Oil
MAP - A popular homemade bore cleaner or solvent. The three principal components are Murphy's Oil Soap, Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide

If you find an acronym you don't understand and can't puzzle out, do not hesitate to ask the person who posted it for clarification.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back