• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ace pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Got a little project brewin I want some feedback on from you fellas. I have one of them New Orleans Ace pistols I put together from a kit and have found that its pretty useless with a patched ball at any range beyond point blank. But I was thinkin that loaded with shot it might make a pretty good snake pistol. I've gerry rigged some wads by pressing the muzzle to a paper plate and cutting around the outline then cutting small slits along the edge to form a flexable fringe. They go down the barrel nice and snug and seem adaquit for holding powder and shot in place. My question is, have any of you fellas done anything similar with a smoothbore pistol? If so what did you do to make it work?

Thanks

Don

Don,
Is the ACE about .44 or .45 with about a 6" steel barrel in the white with a brass frame, no sights?
If so I have two of them, both from Autcion Arms, $40.00 and $26.00 respectivley. I've mever fired them, but would like to. I had in mind to hang the pair on the wall for decorations.
I'm interested in your shot loads, Sounds like you hit on a good idea. keep us posted.

1K.jpg

The thing you might want to do is check and see if the "shot" set-up is OK with your local laws, it could be mistaken as a sawed off shotgun...

Powder, over powder card (usually .125 thick), wad (wonder wads work fine, shot and a thin over shot card to hold it all in...

This will get you in the ball park...

Musketman,

Thanks for bringing up the legal issue, I'll inquire about that. I'm trying to use stuff I have around the house to keep load and shot in place. If it doesn't work consistantly I'll resort to the commercial stuff. I've read that shot load should be the same by volume as the powder load which means I won't get many pellets into the gun as the max I've ever put in that gun is 20 grains. I'll keep you all posted.

Don

Latest posts

Back