• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Accurizing a .451 Volunteer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently purchased a .451 Volunteer by Euroarms. He would like to have the gun glass bedded, especially near the breech. And the lock could sure use a bit of smoothing. Finally, the trigger pull needs competent attention. Who would y'all recommend for the work? Appreciate any suggestions.

Did my trigger myself , a bit of bending got the trigger down to 3 pounds, changeing sights , finding a "right load" and good bullet will take up most the time, found this to be a decent 300 out to 1000 yd rifle, not much under..you have to go with paper patched bullets ect to really ring out the best in it, maybe one of the Brits will see this and help you out. FRED :hatsoff:

Can't help with recommendations for US gunsmiths, but with regards to bedding the rifle, have a look at my Long Range Muzzle Loader web site. In the 'technical' section you will find an article on bedding the Parker-Hale using traditional materials. This is applicable to full stocked rifles such as the Enfields, Volunteer and Whitworth models.

Always seems alien to me to glass bed a traditional muzzle loader... although from what I read many do it in the US. Does your friend have some specific problem he is trying to address with the rifle bedding?

David

Thats what I was wondering , if someone would make a good half stock for the action/barrel it seems good enough to me when you put some real good sights on it. I put on one of those cheap (made) long scopes on it and can bang a 55 gal drum most the day out to 7oo yds or so, it gets trickey at 800 on out, bullet wt,sonic , sub sonic and all those tricks to mess you up ( trick was for me to kerp it under 1000 fps )

Not knowing how much you want to spend most any gunsmith in your area should be able to do the trigger work. As far as working up an accurate bullet and powder combination, I've had good sucess with about any bullet I've used as long they have been in the 500 gr. or more area. The nose pore bullets are concestantly more accurate,the big drawback is the price of the mold. The Lee mold 121-901 works ok if you don't want to tie up a lot in a mold. Whatever you decide to do just make sure the base of your bullets are flat and that you use an over the powder wad because it critical that the base of the bullet doesn't get distorted from the powder burn. My most accurate combo is a 540 gr. lubed nose pore bullet with 78 gr. of 2f swiss. By the way if you would ever want to compete in a NMLRA competition the trigger must be at least 3lbs. Midway USA has a good selection of molds.

Latest posts

Back