• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been advocating 'front sight', 'front sight', 'front sight' on here for years ... know where that front sight is when the trigger breaks AND learn to 'call your shot(s)' .... and all I do is get is beat up for it by wanna-be's ...
I'll cal BR 549

Had one those Ah-HAA moments the other day. I'm sure I'm not the first to see this but maybe resurrecting's it might help someone. I had been changing some sights around and I added a Lyman 57 SML peep sight to my
.50 Deerstalker. I had folded down the rear sight to make it easier to install the peep. I made a pretty good estimate of where the new sight needed to be and as i was lining sights up I popped the rear sight back up . Not only was my rough guess pretty close but lo and behold when looking thru the peep my rear sight is now much sharper but i now have a three point sight. It's no secret that adding any kind of aperture in the sight plane adds depth of focus but every time it's experienced it's a revelation to us with old eyes. I can't wait until the weather turns so I can see the results .

Had one those Ah-HAA moments the other day. I'm sure I'm not the first to see this but maybe resurrecting's it might help someone. I had been changing some sights around and I added a Lyman 57 SML peep sight to my
.50 Deerstalker. I had folded down the rear sight to make it easier to install the peep. I made a pretty good estimate of where the new sight needed to be and as i was lining sights up I popped the rear sight back up . Not only was my rough guess pretty close but lo and behold when looking thru the peep my rear sight is now much sharper but i now have a three point sight. It's no secret that adding any kind of aperture in the sight plane adds depth of focus but every time it's experienced it's a revelation to us with old eyes. I can't wait until the weather turns so I can see the results .
Amongst the many projects I have yet to finish or try out are the Williams peep sights I installed on my .50 Renegade a month and a half ago. Still haven't shot it with the new peep. But I left the rear sight on and used it to ball park the aperture. And I was thinking the same thing. With the sharpness increase of the peep, why not try all 3? I'm going to try it too.

Lots of folks didn't grow up from age 10 shooting a single shot .22 rifle with a rear V type sight! That rifle went with me everywhere I went...literally!!
Sounds like you and I have more than one thing in common? My dad was a good shooter allthough he never got into Muzzle Loaders but had several rifles that shot well. He gave me a .22 rifle when I turned ten years old with orders not to shoot it if he wasn't there. I did slip it out once in a while. He was a target shooter.I wasn't made to sit at a bench and shoot so I roved around shooting everything within reason. As I matured I started trying to see if I could shoot as well as him. He gave me some solid advice and it showed up on my targets.

Sounds like you and I have more than one thing in common? My dad was a good shooter allthough he never got into Muzzle Loaders but had several rifles that shot well. He gave me a .22 rifle when I turned ten years old with orders not to shoot it if he wasn't there. I did slip it out once in a while. He was a target shooter.I wasn't made to sit at a bench and shoot so I roved around shooting everything within reason. As I matured I started trying to see if I could shoot as well as him. He gave me some solid advice and it showed up on my targets.
Sounds like a mirror image of my dad and I.

Back