• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You don't get it by doing what someone said "concentrating upon the target"! If I were going to teach how NOT to be accurate that's what I'd say do! You gain accuracy by watching and concentrating upon the front barrel sight! The eye cannot focus upon two different objects at the same time therefore the shooter becomes accurate by focusing the eyes upon the front sight! The rear sight does not have to be seen exactly clearly; only to the degree to be able for alignment of the front sight within the gap of the rear sight and seen with the secondary vision! Oft times the gap within the rear sight notch is so narrow that its difficult to ascertain whether or not the front sight is centered within the gap! On occasion a point file can be used to widen the gap a bit! If the vision is used correctly the target will appear as a blur if looking at the front sight but with excellent trigger control and follow through and practice accuracy will improve greatly! I taught marksmanship during my military time with the US Army Shooting Team back in the '60s and since that time as a civilian for the previous 60 years! The method I advocate works! Merry Christmas!

Small 'edit' to clear up the fact that I wasn't around in 1880!

Last edited:
You don't get it by doing what someone said "concentrating upon the target"! If I were going to teach how NOT to be accurate that's what I'd say do! You gain accuracy by watching and concentrating upon the front barrel sight! The eye cannot focus upon two different objects at the same time therefore the shooter becomes accurate by focusing the eyes upon the front sight! The rear sight does not have to be seen exactly clearly; only to the degree to be able for alignment of the front sight within the gap of the rear sight and seen with the secondary vision! Oft times the gap within the rear sight notch is so narrow that its difficult to ascertain whether or not the front sight is centered within the gap! On occasion a point file can be used to widen the gap a bit! If the vision is used correctly the target will appear as a blur if looking at the front sight but with excellent trigger control and follow through and practice accuracy will improve greatly! I taught marksmanship during my military time with the US Army Shooting Team back in the '60s and as a civilian for the previous 60 years! The method I advocate works! Merry Christmas!

EXACTLY!!!!!!

I've been advocating 'front sight', 'front sight', 'front sight' on here for years ... know where that front sight is when the trigger breaks AND learn to 'call your shot(s)' .... and all I do is get is beat up for it by wanna-be's ...

Yes and it happens much too often. I've done the same thing and always expect to pay for it.

30 yrs. LE the front sight long gun and hand gun. Multiple rounds you cannot focus on rear sight so the front sight is primary. You look at target and front sight is on the target depending 6 o'clock hold or dead center hold normally for handgun. Front sight is the hold for flintlock because of timing with lock. Just my training over the years with iron sights.

I'm not concerned about what the snowflakes and millennials think! If they're lucky they may live to be as old as I am.....but I've got my doubts about that!! The older shooters might benefit by a visit to their eye doc!!

That's good advice but there's limits to what can be done about old eyes. Even so, I see a lot of old guys shooting pretty good. Probably has to do with focusing on the front sight.

I have old eyes and new lenses but my muscles don't work like they used. I have some injuries and other problems but I love to shoot and my flinters give me joy. I have some good and bad but the fun is what it's all about. I am not as good as I once was but sometimes I am good once as I ever was. Fun and enjoyment is what is important. I am retired, 69 years I've been around and I have tried the serious adult thing and that ain't happening. Look at the front sight and have fun. Just my opinion.

You don't get it by doing what someone said "concentrating upon the target"! If I were going to teach how NOT to be accurate that's what I'd say do! You gain accuracy by watching and concentrating upon the front barrel sight! The eye cannot focus upon two different objects at the same time therefore the shooter becomes accurate by focusing the eyes upon the front sight! The rear sight does not have to be seen exactly clearly; only to the degree to be able for alignment of the front sight within the gap of the rear sight and seen with the secondary vision! Oft times the gap within the rear sight notch is so narrow that its difficult to ascertain whether or not the front sight is centered within the gap! On occasion a point file can be used to widen the gap a bit! If the vision is used correctly the target will appear as a blur if looking at the front sight but with excellent trigger control and follow through and practice accuracy will improve greatly! I taught marksmanship during my military time with the US Army Shooting Team back in the '60s and as a civilian for the previous 60 years! The method I advocate works! Merry Christmas!
It sounds like you’ve been alive from about 1880! Remarkable! You taught marksmanship in the 1960s and 60 years before that. Well done!

Gotta comment........At 76 yrs, I couldn't see target , front sight , or rear sight. Built a new deer rifle , sans the rear sight. Put a .090 blade in the front sight slot , and Peep sight on the tang. Think I'm in love again , the target is clear , the front sight is clear , and the target has multiple holes in the center. Love it.

Yes and it happens much too often. I've done the same thing and always expect to pay for it.
I feel your pain! I mentioned some time ago about burying the post until it started to flicker while holding the post on target . I tried a lot of methods to shoot tight groups and all failed except the afore mentioned method. It is the only way I have found that I could shoot a ragged hole at 100yd. The sight most people hate the most is the old "V" type sight. Ironically, for tight groups it is the best one I have found?

I feel your pain! I mentioned some time ago about burying the post until it started to flicker while holding the post on target . I tried a lot of methods to shoot tight groups and all failed except the afore mentioned method. It is the only way I have found that I could shoot a ragged hole at 100yd. The sight most people hate the most is the old "V" type sight. Ironically, for tight groups it is the best one I have found?
I concur 100%!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Lots of folks didn't grow up from age 10 shooting a single shot .22 rifle with a rear V type sight! That rifle went with me everywhere I went...literally!!

Man, I struggle with front sight. I shoot aperture sight rimfire at 50 yards, air rifle and pistol at 10 meters and my muzzle loader at 25 yards. It may be easy for some, but not me.

Got these in a few days ago. Anxious to try it out. And yes, front sight picture is the key.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    739 KB · Views: 0
Back