• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accuracy Woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
however it was used. I ran a bore scope down it, it does not have what I considder pits...but maybe rough spots from tool chatter in lands.
[/QUOTE]
This is very significant for me.
It's not run in.
Consider some bore polishing.
Sharp lands and patches balls don't go together.

however it was used. I ran a bore scope down it, it does not have what I considder pits...but maybe rough spots from tool chatter in lands.
This is very significant for me.
It's not run in.
Consider some bore polishing.
Sharp lands and patches balls don't go together.
I was about to suggest cleaning the bore with something like Scoth-Brite when I read Brits’ post suggesting some bore polishing. I agree with him. Time to do something different. It won’t hurt anything and stands a good chance of helping. Mike Bellevue (@duelist1954) has a good video out showing his process. I have used a similar method for some time, but Mike explains his very well. I started doing it after speaking to Don Getz (Getz Barrel) years ago before he passed, and he recommended using the green (600 grit) Scotch-Brite for smoothing up barrels that were cutting patches. Said it wouldn’t hurt the barrel.

Here is a snapshot from bore scope. You can make out the tooling marks on side of lands. What yall think?

Attachments

• 1606854775735997343399437264720.jpg
    1606854775735997343399437264720.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 113
Could that be leading instead of tool marks? If the previous owner shot a lot of conicals there may be leading. That can play havoc with a patched round ball.

Well...the 90gr FFG charge was all over the place. I worked my way down in powder charge just to see what would happen....at 65 gr. FFG I got this 3 shot consecutive group...I guess it is acceptable accuracy..or consistency rather. The primary purpose I built this rifle for is deer hunting. I have never shot a deer with that low of powder charge...I know shot placement over muzzle energy all day....however, I still wonder if any of you have used that light of charge for deer...and can offer your thoughts on if it is sufficient. Thanks again.
I only use 80 gr FFG in my 54 to kill deer. Your 65 grains is plenty!

I ran a bore scope down it, it does not have what I considder pits...but maybe rough spots from tool chatter in lands.

This is your problem, it's why your patches were shredding and why things improved with a over powder wad, and why the conicals shot better, but it won't last, the rough bore will cause severe leading with conicals then nothing will shoot accurately through it.

I ran a bore scope down it, it does not have what I consider pits...but maybe rough spots from tool chatter in lands.
You might want to consider a mild wet lap of your barrel with water based valve lapping compound.

I did this with the Renegade I restored and even though there is still some pitting in the barrel from rust the lapping smoothed it out and it loads and shoots very well.

Actually difficult to tell from the high resolution fuzzy photograph
1606866551734.jpeg

if it’s just a dirty bore or a rough dirty bore. It will have to be thoroughly cleaned before you will know what you have and what the next steps should be.

I've seen a really good cleaning work wonders, I've also seen it do nothing but waste time, energy and resources.

It is not a dirty bore I can assure you. Lead buildup...possible. sorry for low res photo...that is the best my scope can do. I will try the scotchbrite treatment tommorrow and will post results after I get a chance to shoot again. Thank you gents for the help.

It is not a dirty bore I can assure you. Lead buildup...possible.

Cleaning a dirty bore refers to all things, powder fouling, lead fouling, copper, rust, plastic, or whatever. Heck even some oils can harden and adhere to the bore. A bore should be bright, shiny, smooth, with crisp with well defined rifling.

I would suggest polishing the bore, I’ve actually used tooth paste, water soluble valve lapping compound and even scotch brite (brown). Then after I polish, I reclean the barrel. Just like Brit said.. shoot it! I’d go with his suggestion of around 100 shots or even more. As you get towards the 100 shot mark... check your accuracy. I would swab between Shots and keep absolutely everything the same... same patch thickness, same powder charge and same size ball. I’d not use the overpowder card until your done breaking it in. Let us know how it all works out! Good luck and have fun!

It is not a dirty bore I can assure you. Lead buildup...possible. sorry for low res photo...that is the best my scope can do. I will try the scotchbrite treatment tommorrow and will post results after I get a chance to shoot again. Thank you gents for the help.
If there is lead build up the bore is not clean. Lead buildup in a muzzleloader bore is not your friend.

Back