• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Accidental Star Alignment.....Reverse Tang Screw Install

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

64Springer

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Sometimes the stars align accidently. Should we trust the stars?

The existing forward trigger guard hole on my antique 20ga has landed in an area that would allow for installing the tang screw from the bottom. If I do it, the Brown Bess screw and pin set from Track would get the job done. They are 10-32 button head screws. The screw head would be secured against the trigger guard. The area under the tang would be reinforced with a sandpaper dust/Titebond III mixture.

Any pitfalls installing a tang screw from the bottom? I'm sure it's rare. Can it be done safely?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    902.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 0
Sometimes the stars align accidently. Should we trust the stars?

The existing forward trigger guard hole on my antique 20ga has landed in an area that would allow for installing the tang screw from the bottom. If I do it, the Brown Bess screw and pin set from Track would get the job done. They are 10-32 button head screws. The screw head would be secured against the trigger guard. The area under the tang would be reinforced with a sandpaper dust/Titebond III mixture.

Any pitfalls installing a tang screw from the bottom? I'm sure it's rare. Can it be done safely?

Many thanks.
I don't know if safety is any concern at all, but as you show it the tang nail will hit the plug ( unless its just cockeye as its photoed) but even then it will probably impede the side nail . that far forward most plugs are too long they where originaly half that ,Even A Brown Bess is scarcly much deeper that 3/8th modern practice forces the vent to far forward & as oft needs the deep grouve or a hole through the unseen tang .. They did what was done since it worked out & only common trade guns went with up into tang nails as a general rule. It was used more on early 17th C guns but your style unlikely. & how would you screw home the head .? . Your gun of course but I've made enough to have a few clues re such matters .
Regards Rudyard

Good call on the lock screw going into the bolster. I had not contemplated that during mock up.

The photo makes things look a little askew. There would be about a 3/16" web between the back of the tang and the tang screw.

The trigger bow can be moved back a touch. Trying to keep more bow forward of the trigger. Just looks better.

And I think there's enough room to put the lock bolt though without hitting the tang screw.

Thank you for taking the time to point out what I had not seen.

Back