• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Access Heritage NW Trade Musket finishing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No big challenge, @Woody Morgan . But why not try the musket just drilling the touch hole? It may work just fine. Make sure you know where the end of the breech plug is with respect to the touch hole. You may find that the breech face would intrude on the touch hole liner and then installing a touch hole liner becomes a much bigger deal.

Also be aware that the Access Heritage Musket was manufactured in India, and I am sure you are aware of the general feeling on the forum about muskets from India, especially those that require having the touch hole drilled. Disclaimer: I have a Loyalist Arms Long Land Pattern Musket from India. I have used that gun a lot and am confident of it in spite of being too heavy and its use of some locally sourced stock wood pretending to be walnut.

Last edited:
Take Grenadier’s advice on just drilling a touch hole. It would have been rare for an original to have a liner. I would start with a 1/16” hole. Just run a ramrod down the barrel to the breech and mark it. Measure the depth and measure alongside the barrel from muzzle to the sunset location of the lock pan. Hopefully it is close and drill there. Ideally you want the touch hole just in front of the breech. You can angle the hole a bit to come out in front of breech.

I would “proof” the gun with it tied to a tire the first time to be sure it is reasonably safe.

I have five smooth bore Access Heritage guns that are what I consider to be stronger than originals. They are safe guns to shoot!
If you are not confident in drilling and other tinkering then these guns are not something you should get.
They have allowed me to get guns I could never afford from the contemporary gun makers. I have also enjoyed the work required to make them very shootable.
LBL

Yes don’t let any one scare you about Indian guns. They are heavy, too much wood, to shinny, to big of molding. But safe to shoot with ant reasonable charges

Back