• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acceptable Lube for Minnie Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe on your end of the line but Frame 43, rubber boots weren't a bad idea
We where at 35 and 36 all weekend. Wasn’t bad there. Not saying it was completely dry but was not bad.
My lube failed during individuals was to hard had to add crisco to the base. By Sunday no crisco was required.
I like the crisco worthless joke that was posted by another poster

Back when I still had a .58 and shot minies, some manual I had said put the lube in the hollow base. That seemed strange to me so I always lubed the grooves even when I tried a dab of lube in the bullets base.

..... For those of us that are just shooting for some fun occasionally, and do not shoot competition, hunt or are not very concerned with too much historical accuracy, would just using Crisco be OK?...

Scott,
Crisco will work on a cool day if you are lubing the Minie right before loading it.
Hell, margarine would probably work.

But on a hot day Crisco will flow like water, meaning it will run right OFF your bullet and ruin your powder if you are using quick loaders or even paper cartridges.

Therefore you will want to mix tallow and beeswax in roughly equal proportions by weight (the historical lube); or instead of tallow people use a lot of things including Crisco, olive oil.... and depending on your proportion of wax it will stick to the bullet. There are a lot of secret recipes, everyone's got to have a secret, it's the coolness of having a secret.

Scott,
Crisco will work on a cool day if you are lubing the Minie right before loading it.
Hell, margarine would probably work.

But on a hot day Crisco will flow like water, meaning it will run right OFF your bullet and ruin your powder if you are using quick loaders or even paper cartridges.

Therefore you will want to mix tallow and beeswax in roughly equal proportions by weight (the historical lube); or instead of tallow people use a lot of things including Crisco, olive oil.... and depending on your proportion of wax it will stick to ? bullet. There are a lot of secret recipe s,m everyone's got to have a secret, it's the coolness of having a secret.

Crisco is acceptable, but not optimum.

I shot the carbine match at # 23, in front of the tower, and at # 17 on Sunday for musket. Neither spot was muddy.
We were stuck with #43 and 42. Both had a moat just past the 25yd line. At 100yd, the mud was deep.

Alox mixtures can work but you're cutting it with enough suitable carrier as realize little benefit from the alox.
Same thing as adding STP or other chlorowax to minie lube.

Have this large supply of .50 and .54 conical bullets with dried out lube. Intended to sell them but it's too much hassle and postage is too high. i'm slowly disposing of those conicals by shooting them at targets.

My re-lube is 2/3 bore butter melted into 1/3 beeswax.

Have this large supply of .50 and .54 conical bullets with dried out lube. Intended to sell them but it's too much hassle and postage is too high. i'm slowly disposing of those conicals by shooting them at targets.

My re-lube is 2/3 bore butter melted into 1/3 beeswax.
To re-lube, just spray with ballistol.

Back