• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acceptable Lube for Minnie Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueliner67

32 Cal
Reaction score
I saw a thread in which it was said that one could use Crisco as lube for a minnie ball from a civil war reproduction rifled musket. Would this be accurate?

The thread said to make sure you just put it around the minnie ball in the groves be careful to not get any on the bottom or around the powder.

For those of us that are just shooting for some fun occasionally, and do not shoot competition, hunt or are not very concerned with too much historical accuracy, would just using Crisco be OK?

Thanks!

Scott
Blueliner67

I saw a thread in which it was said that one could use Crisco as lube for a minnie ball from a civil war reproduction rifled musket. Would this be accurate?

The thread said to make sure you just put it around the minnie ball in the groves be careful to not get any on the bottom or around the powder.

For those of us that are just shooting for some fun occasionally, and do not shoot competition, hunt or are not very concerned with too much historical accuracy, would just using Crisco be OK?

Thanks!

Scott
Blueliner67

Crisco works ok but I've found lard works better. You'll never know till you try. I've experimented with quite a few and some are decidedly better than others so don't get hung up on Crisco.

But hey, I only sent 50+ downrange today
IMG_20220521_083310.jpg

Scott
Blueliner67

What do you mean by "accurate" when a later statement says you aren't interested in competition? Historically speaking, tallow mixed with beeswax was the lube of choice. BUT know this, there are more things to deal with than lube in a minie ball rifle

Since you read the thread and if you've researched this, you'll find there are a bunch of opinions, but at the end of the day, you'll have to experiment.

What you need to decide is what you're really wanting to do and what results would be satisfactory. If you want to just chuck lead downrange, anything will do but don't whine about not being able to hit anything. If you care about being able to hit a target, things change. A properly set up minie rifle can be scary accurate but that means you have to care about variable control.

I like lard and beeswax and mix it to a thickness of soft wax. I vary this depending on the time of the year - harder in the hot summer and softer in the winter.

Decades ago when I still had a Zouave I often used a Crisco & Vaseline lube mix. But I took a single ply off pieces of double ply bathroom tissue. I would carefully wrap this around the minie. The reason was mainly to make sure the minie didn't creep up toward the muzzle when the rifle was handled. But it also shot very well.

Back