• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Abusing Our Heritage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although we are straying from the main subject of the thread but what has been said of late does bring back memories of what happened in the family . I am the fifth generation of our sporting shooting family I still own my father and grandfathers guns , but one thing that comes to mind is a great uncle of mine he was the one that got me into muzzle loaders much to the dissatisfaction of my father who would say [dirty old things you want nought with them]. He was one of the old breed fought through WW1. he stored his muzzle loaders in a glass fronted tall cabinet and also in the grandfather clock, he wore pigskin boots and leather farmers gaiters a moleskin waistcoat and a Norfolk jacker. I would go out with him shooting he never carried a powder or shot flask the percussion caps he carried in his waist coat pocket the powder was in a little bag which went into his inside pocket of his coat and the shot went into his out side pocket .The first walk up was always a field of turnips for partridges and to start he would pull a turnip from which he would cut a slice about a 1/4 inch thick then taken his powder measure which was the bowl of a clay pipe and put a full measure of powder in each barrel ,then taken the slice of turnip which he placed over the muzzle ends and pressed on it with his hand so the muzzle end cut the two wads of turnip which were rammed home this was repeated with the shot the gun was caped and off we went walking the rows of turnips .Yes I remember those days when I was roughly 10 years old and still in short trousers which on shooting days got nettled , and scratched with thorns and gorse but at the end of the day with a pheasant , partridge or rabbit in the back it was a good day out. Little did he know or even myself that I would become a muzzle loading enthusiast as I am today .
Feltwad

Well drunken old cider men might just be guilty of a modicum of leg pulling & b s, And ivory soap Might work ,But Ivory is sort of difficult to load I imagine and if you did find a snug fitting bit it would blow holes in your patterns very probably. ( I've not tried it myself you understand ) My experience with poison Ivy if not for wadding I shall not relate, but Mr Ehlert's advise is sound .It has Sumac & Oak relations too. Though I cant tell of their quality's or failings personally .& this I am Glad to relate !. All Wasps nests I have learned to avoid , old felt underlay ect is time consuming to cut out for wads, but at least it dos'nt sting or make you swell up . In jest .
Rudyard

Had a wonderful Yorkie, Oliver, gone now 3 years. Loved him very much.
I understand that Yorkies were bred to catch rodents from under the machinery in textile mills and rabbits in their warrens.
I'd think Cats would do well in the mills, maybe they weren't too fond of them?

Back