• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

about to make mix up my first batch of lube... advice please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best advice I can give is do not use Crisco at all. As others have said, use beeswax sparingly. I use it mixed with whale oil (no longer available) or peanut oil. Other veg oils are preferred by others. I mix until I have a soft substance and put in small plastic containers about the size of a bar of soap. To use, I rub on a large piece of my patch cloth(.015" ticking for me), cut into strips and store in a plastic baggie just like the original mountain men did. FWIW, I have tried many lubes over the years. Without a doubt, Crisco is the second worse there is. Chicken fat is worster. 🤮 Don't even think about using that.

#freedom475
Nice plug for a fellow member and can’t say one way or another about SPG, but my lube is not sub-par thank you very much it functions as intended, and it along with casting one’s own balls and bullets, as is the cleaning and care of the weapons, all part of the culture.
Just saying. 😁

I'll start by saying I know a professional hobby-like candle maker (she makes a living, but badly) so I already know all the things to avoid to maintain marital harmony (SWMBO is a redheaded Puerto Rican and I have the bruises to prove it).

Questions -

1 - Suggestions on starting ratio for Crisco and beeswax for use in hot hot humid weather (N Central Florida summer time in the sun with a 35 minute drive in a hot car to the range)

2 - I'm planning on VERY small batches at first, 2-3oz max. I'm also planning to mix up a few different batches. Can I add a drop of food coloring to the mix to color it so I can identify and remember what batch is which?

3 - Different lube consistency for use w/ PRB vs other uses (maxis, felt wads) - I'm thinking thinner is OK for PRB use and thicker is better for the others, especially if applied while hot/warm and especially if I'm doing this for hot weather use.

4 - planning on 2 melt pots in a double boiler or on a heating plate (house torn apart for renovation at the moment, such fun!), one for wax and one for crisco, then mixing in liquid state by volume in the destination container

5 - I asked in #1, but as I type this and think, I'm thinking I'm gonna do 3 batches at first unless answers to #1 direct otherwise, but a 50/50 mix, a 25/75 and a 75/25 and see what that gets me for lubing maxis (planning on shooting a bunch Sunday)
#1, #4 & #5
Some loads have good results with veggie based shortening and some don't so you won't know until the trials are conducted. As to starting ratio, start with very little and then examine how the mixture behaves in your operating temperatures. Like how much water to use in a batch of concrete, once you get too much it's gonna fail the slump test.
Double boilers are for safety and not to be scoffed at.

Wax crayons may work better for color coding batches.

Lube for muzzlelolading bullets and lube for patched round ball for two different animals all together but you can usually find a way to make bullet lube work kinda sorta OK for patch lube (but not always).

PS,
My recipe for everything I can make it work in is Lanolin, Olive Oil and Beeswax.
Nmkm58Q.jpg

TOTW Mink oil or spit work fine for RB shooting in my guns. If for conicals I just mix 70/30 Mink oil/beeswax... Dip'em warm and call it good... Haven't had an issue yet with either way...

As I posted earlier my first attempt on lube ended up with 16oz instead of 4oz lesson learned stir after cooling LOL. What to with 12oz of extra lube? I just found it makes a fantastic wood polish and window track lube and leather pouch waterproofing . Amazing

Lot of solutions for something that has two basic functions. Soften powder fouling and make a projectile slide down the bore easier, in and out.
If spit works well guess everything else is just overkill. 😁

As I posted earlier my first attempt on lube ended up with 16oz instead of 4oz lesson learned stir after cooling LOL. What to with 12oz of extra lube? I just found it makes a fantastic wood polish and window track lube and leather pouch waterproofing . Amazing
Good excuse to do more shooting, not that one needs an excuse, beyond that it stores well and doesn’t cost anything to feed.

Back