• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About the kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I checked them out and there are some very nice kits. Do you know if the under rib is pre drilled for the thimbles and the barrell drilled and taped and ready to install the under rib like on T/C kits or do you have to do that on your own. Are the breach plugs installed or does that also have to be done. I know some of the custom kits you have to do all the drilling and tapping as a part of the kit assembly. Since I do not have a drill press those types of things could pose a problem if I wanted to build from a kit.

Thanks

I don't know what kits you're referring to but if a few holes need to be drilled perhaps you could get a friend with a drill press to assist. If not you could try finding a machine shop nearby, someone there could drill and tap a few holes for you at a very modest fee.

What kit are you interested in ? Some kits require plenty of woodwork and mechanical skills. I hope that doesn't daunt you, half the fun is taking your time in building the dream. :v

Unlike the kits made by folks like TC, Lyman and Traditions all of the kits from the small specialty muzzleloading companies are little more than a box of raw materials.

The locks and set triggers are assembled and function but they must have holes drilled and threaded into them in order to mount them into the gun.

The underribs will not have holes in them and there will not be any threaded holes in the barrel to attach them.

The trigger guards, butt plates and sometimes the sideplates are raw sand or investment castings.

The barrels from some companies like Green Mountain are threaded for a breech plug but it must bought seperately and installed by the builder.
Companies like Rice usually supply the breech plug fully installed in the barrel.

For what it's worth, the first 4 "kits" I built were done without a drill press.
I used an electric hand drill and some small combination squares to help me "eyeball" the angle of the drill bit while I was drilling.

Not easy but it is doable.

As for the under-rib, some folks don't screw them to the barrel. Instead, they solder them in place.

These "kits" can easily take up to 180 hours to finish.
That's not all bad. Once you build one you will want to build more.
When I started I could only afford to buy one kit per year so the large amount of time needed to finish it wasn't a problem. In fact, I couldn't afford to finish them any faster.

Zonie, in your post the word help is in blue and underlined, point to it and it says "Powered by Text-Enhance". This is a pop up ad, and the same thing happened to me yesterday when I tried to download some sheet music. How do we get rid of this? I just did a complete computer scam with my AVG and that did not detect anything. EDIT- I see you just reposted to get rid of it, as I did.

Nope.
The word "help" was not changed by me.

It also wasn't blue or underlined when I wrote it and it still isn't.

Sounds like you've got an unknown "helper" in your computer assisting you when you don't want any assistance.

I suggest that you put "Powered by Text-Enhance" into your google search engine. Include the quotation marks.
There are a lot of things you can do to get rid of it. Just read some of the links that Google will find.

Thanks, Zonie. It worked. Found a web site where someone posted how to remove the program and I did it. Just deleted all the programs dated 6/14/2012 and the underlined blue words are gone.

Latest posts

Back