• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My First Ball Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would carry it in a heartbeat. Nice job. You made it, it works and it is a really nice addition to your or my kit. You needed a way to carry extra rounds, you were sitting at a fire in the dark, everyone around you snoring, in the morning you had what you needed. Everyone else had to carry them in their hands and backpack. Nice.

If you like it, it's fine. I think it looks pretty good. Most important thing in this thread is that you learned something from it. Will your next be different...perhaps. Will it be better...maybe. Do you need to enjoy the process...DEFINITELY!
Keep going.
I did enjoy making it and learned a lot. My hands shake a lot because of Parkinson's, but projects like this help me stay busy. I would definitely make a few adjustments on the next one. Maybe not make such a drastic turn from the neck to the main body and not pack the rice in so tight when it is drying. Overall it was a success for me.

I would carry it in a heartbeat. Nice job. You made it, it works and it is a really nice addition to your or my kit. You needed a way to carry extra rounds, you were sitting at a fire in the dark, everyone around you snoring, in the morning you had what you needed. Everyone else had to carry them in their hands and backpack. Nice.
Thanks.

Folks will criticize behind a keyboard. Take it to a rondy or shoot and folks will ask who made it, "I did" and you will get way more "nice work" replies than I would do it differently. I make things as well, do not sell em, would rather give em away than sell. Not many look something for free as a bad thing. Good woek.

Folks will criticize behind a keyboard. Take it to a rondy or shoot and folks will ask who made it, "I did" and you will get way more "nice work" replies than I would do it differently. I make things as well, do not sell em, would rather give em away than sell. Not many look something for free as a bad thing. Good woek.
Yeah, your right. I don't sell stuff I make either. I never claimed to be the best at anything, but when you put your time in on making something and the first remarks you get are pretty negative you tend to shy away from putting yourself out there. I suppose there are turd heads in every group though.

Scott if your going to give the bag away I would be proud to carry it with my flintlock and tell everyone you made it

Scott if your going to give the bag away I would be proud to carry it with my flintlock and tell everyone you made it
Thank you, Sir. I plan on making one for each grandson so that later in life they will get everything they need to shoot the muzzleloaders they will get from me. Provided they keep their nose clean and stay out of trouble.

@scottbeverly2004 Don't be discouraged, I think it looks pretty good. Certainly better than I could do!

If someone with experience offered some constructive criticism that would be one thing, but to reply to a post from a guy sharing pics and steps of something he made with "it's ugly" honestly just made him look like an a$$. Thanks for sharing with us.

@scottbeverly2004 Don't be discouraged, I think it looks pretty good. Certainly better than I could do!

If someone with experience offered some constructive criticism that would be one thing, but to reply to a post from a guy sharing pics and steps of something he made with "it's ugly" honestly just made him look like an a$$. Thanks for sharing with us.
You're welcome Justin.44 and thanks for your comment. I can handle constructive criticism and am willing to learn from others that have more experience, but those pecker woods that just have nothing good to say, or add to the conversation tick me off. It reminds me of an old saying we have in the south. "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt".

Well I really like it! I like the color of leather and the fact it can hold that many round balls is a plus. I’m not fond of the antler stopper but that’s just me, I prefer wood. I would never show my first ball bag…it looks like a second grader made it … and especially after seeing some of the comments above! I’m not that great at leather work and I’ll be the first to admit it. Your first one turned out much better than mine did. Don’t let negative comments stop you from doing things that you enjoy… you only have to please yourself!

Well I really like it! I like the color of leather and the fact it can hold that many round balls is a plus. I’m not fond of the antler stopper but that’s just me, I prefer wood. I would never show my first ball bag…it looks like a second grader made it … and especially after seeing some of the comments above! I’m not that great at leather work and I’ll be the first to admit it. Your first one turned out much better than mine did. Don’t let negative comments stop you from doing things that you enjoy… you only have to please yourself!
I was going to do the wood stopper out of a small piece of redwood I had hanging around, but the antler seemed like a good fit. I'm pleased with it, but I do see some things that I will do a little differently on the next one. Contrary to what most folks think, it does take a bit to get them to turn out decent. Not that I'm there yet.

Thank you, Sir. I plan on making one for each grandson so that later in life they will get everything they need to shoot the muzzleloaders they will get from me. Provided they keep their nose clean and stay out of trouble.
I always suggest that makers sign thier work for posterity. I’m just getting into leatherwork as it applies to muzzle loading and am shopping for a custom stamp. That’s a nice bag.

I think you did a good job.

67 round balls for a .50 caliber is a lot, have you carried it?
You did well, and it sounds like you plan to make more.
A couple tips.
1st, smaller. That is a big bag with a lot of weight.
Second. Dampen your leather before applying your dye. This will help reduce or eliminate some of the streaking and unevenness.

Keep at it and take notes, written down at the time. Anytime you are making one and bump into something that makes you say, "I'll do this differently next time," write it down right away,,,, don't wait until your finished,,, trust me on this one,,,, don't ask how I know 🙄

Latest posts

Back