Quantcast

A Woodsrunner's Day Part One.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Your video reminded me of a 50 mile canoe journey, called "The Voyageur," we took in Boy Scout Camp over 50 years ago. It was supposed to be a three and a half day trip, but since it was raining like a monsoon, we did not start out the normal first day and waited for what was normally the second day.

Anyway, we were instructed to use our canoe paddles to knock off dead branches from trees that were well under the leaf canopy, this to get the driest kindling possible as everything was so thoroughly soaked. Also in science classes, we had already been taught that when the surface area of things were the largest, they oxidized/burned more readily.

So I combined that information and got the driest twigs from under the leaf canopy, then smashed them between the dried surfaces of two rocks to increase the surface area. Had no problems getting the fire started that way.

Gus

Crewdawg445

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me itch to be out! What a joy indeed! Is this a recent upload? Feel I have seen this on your channel which if others haven't seen, certainly do so! Well done as usual Keith.

Ben

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me itch to be out! What a joy indeed! Is this a recent upload? Feel I have seen this on your channel which if others haven't seen, certainly do so! Well done as usual Keith.

Ben
Thanks Ben. No, I made this series some years ago.
Keith.