• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A weekend carvin' spoons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_Methven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a fantastic weekend at Chopwell forest on a spoon carving course run by Robin and Nicola Wood. It started on Friday afternoon so we could learn all the safety stuff and get to terms with all the Scandinavian type cuts. I must say that that alone was worth going for. My technique improved no end and I realised quickly how inefficient I had been when using a carving knife and axe before. We had a go first of all at making tent pegs. By Friday evening I had knocked out 25 and I saw a possible business opportunity for future re-enactors markets as a demonstration subject.

Saturday was spent in great company making spatulas, cracking jokes supping tea and just whittling wood, under a parachute canopy all sitting round a central campfire. Brilliant!

Sunday consisted of a recap of the different knife cuts where each of us took it in turn to teach it to the rest - by far the best way to remember something is to try and teach it to someone else. We made some spoons, did a session on sharpening and at the end of the day I took the opportunity of teaching Robin and Nicola's two kids, Jo Jo and Ollie how to make fire with a flint and striker. It was a joy to see the big smiles when their bundle of tinder burst into flame.

The only down side for me was that I forgot to take my camera so I'm relying on some of the others to provide photos later which I will add when I can.

I'm knackered somewhat, but completely rejuvenated.

I'd highly recommend Robin Wood if you want to learn to make spoons quickly and efficiently. What used to take me days now takes hours. What used to take hours now takes minutes. I'm one happy bunny.

Edit: Here's some photos (taken by Robin)

IMG_5749.jpg

Lizzy the ranger carving just with an axe

IMG_5754.jpg

Me (left) and Ken hollowing with a hook knife

IMG_5762.jpg

Carving is surprisingly hard work requiring serious concentration, we have found it's best to down tools every hour and take a break. Here's Jojo manning the fire and kettle and Steve carving in the background.

IMG_5772.jpg

Evenings round the fire are always fun but the parachute makes it a lovely space.

IMG_5799.jpg

"We like to concentrate more on teaching skills and sharing inspiration and enthusiasm than producing things on the course and it is always a joy to see what folk do in the weeks and months after a course. We do make some spoons during the process though (and lots of tent pegs)"
Robin.

IMG_5803.jpg

IMG_5829.jpg

"Now I am really a woodworker not a bushcrafter and had never made fire with flint and steel so it was a real delight to be shown how to do it by Eric. Here is Ollie at that magical moment blowing his first ember into life." Robin

IMG_5838.jpg

And Jojo.

IMG_5841.jpg

The motley crew.

There's also a video of the weekend here.

Eric

That looks like a real fun way to spend a weekend.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
joe

:thumbsup: Looks like a lot of fun fer young and old. Thank you for sharing. :hatsoff:

Very cool pictures.
My first experience with carving a spoon was...
I was on a 50 mile hike with the boy scouts and 7 miles in, I realized that I forgot my fork and spoon at home. I went wining to my scout master and he suggested that I sit down with my pocket knife and a piece of wood and think about my problem.
After an hour or so and a band aid or two I resolved the problem.
I still have a love of making things out of wood to this day.
By the way, It allmost seems like the stew tastes better when eaten with a wooden spoon.

Regards

:v There ya go Pitchy another hurdle to try---I use a hook knife in some of my carving---it's a great tool. :hatsoff:

Back