• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A wedge is a wedge is a wedge ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Pietta 1860 Army barrel wedge will fit an Uberti gun, and vice versa ? Are barrel wedges interchangable between makers ? How about between models, ie will an uberti 1860 Army wedge fit an Uberti 1851 Navy ?

Thanks .36Rooster, and yes I know they're available everywhere. My posted question still stands; are barrel wedges essentially once size fits all, at least between the Army and Navy ?

They're cheap enough and available everywhere. Just order the right one for your gun and get a couple extras in case you need them later for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a Pietta 1860 Army barrel wedge will fit an Uberti gun, and vice versa ? Are barrel wedges interchangable between makers ? How about between models, ie will an uberti 1860 Army wedge fit an Uberti 1851 Navy ?
It depends on vintage. I suspect wedges from post 2000 Piettas would interchange. That company uses the same frame for pretty much everything. Pre 2000 Uberti not so much. A Dragoon wedge will probably fit only Dragoons and maybe only that version. (1st, 2nd, 3rd, Walker, etc.) I just tried a wedge from an 1860 NMA in an 1861 NAVY and it’s a no go. The Navy Wedge was thinner and narrower. Similar vintage, both mid 60’s.
VTI gun parts says the new CNC wedge is identical from 1851-1861, Uberti and Pietta.

I recently ordered in two replacement wedges for an Uberti 1860 Army. One from Dixie and one from Taylors. I had tried to widen the original wedge with a flat tipped punch and 2 lb. hammer, but it wasn't impressed. There wasn't even a thousandths increase in width. In order for that to have worked the wedge would have had to have been heated to soften (annealed), and then hardened and tempered after modification. One wedge (from Dixie) was almost the exact size as the original. The other one was .010 wider and that proved just what I needed to get a fit like Blackie Thomas mentions. Does anyone know of a source of oversize wedges - the luck of the draw approach can get expensive at $ 17.00 to $21.00 each.

Latest posts

Back