• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A two gun fetish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years, in my modern unspeakables, I have had a two gun fetish. Let me explain: I subscribe to the old theory that two is one and one is none. Having spent lots of time in the field without a credible means of resupply/replacement/repair, I have adopted the practice of having two like guns (if not exactly alike, damn close...at least the same model/sights/magazines/ammo) available.

I have carried that practice over into my muzzleloader hunting. Nothing will ruin a well planned backcountry hunt faster than a "broke" inoperable gun. I have had it happen to buddies..stock damage, sights busted..with no avenue of repair/replacement other than heading back home. Kind of rains on your parade when you are miles into the back country that took lots of logistics and at times lots of horse and mule farts to establish a camp. But I even do it when out camping even though I am 2 hour drive from home and all of my "thangs".

To that end, I take two guns with me with the same sight setup, same loads/bullets and if not exactly the same, with only minor differences.

Now I understand the economics of it, I can afford it and have no wife to have to justify my purchases and I know others can't, but the question remains: If you could, would you?

Or do I have a stupid fetish that I am fulfilling.... I have rhino hide, you aren't going to insult me and you surely aren't going to stop me for continuing the practice......just want to know if there are other freaks like me!

Last edited:
For years, even in my modern unspeakables, I have had a two gun fetish. Let me explain: I subscribe to the old theory that two is one and one is none. Having spent lots of time in the field without a credible means of resupply/replacement/repair, I have adopted the practice of having two like guns (if not exactly alike, damn close...at least the same model/sights/magazines/ammo) available.

I have carried that practice over into my muzzleloader hunting. Nothing will ruin a well planned backcountry hunt faster than a "broke" inoperable gun. I have had it happen to buddies..stock damage, sights busted..with no avenue of repair/replacement other than heading back home. Kind of rains on your parade when you are miles into the back country that took lots of logistics and at times lots of horse and mule farts to establish a camp. But I even do it when out camping even though I am 2 hour drive from home and all of my "thangs".

To that end, I take two guns with me with the same sight setup, same loads/bullets and if not exactly the same, with only minor differences.

Now I understand the economics of it, I can afford it and have no wife to have to justify my purchases and I know others can't, but the question remains: If you could, would you?

Or do I have a stupid fetish that I am fulfilling.... I have rhino hide, you aren't going to insult me and you surely aren't going to stop me for continuing the practice......just want to know if there are other freaks like me!
You are crazy like a Fox! :)

I'm much the same way, except I don't go as far as you do to make sure they're identical. I just take two properly equipped, and capable rifles along with me and that's that. In fact, I might even switch em out and carry a different one for morning or evening hunts, or depending on the day.

Latest posts

Back