• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Trio of 62s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave,
First my apology on commenting so late on these guns. I saw them, then forgot which forum section they are under and finally found them again.

That is a lovely Fowler you built for a Lady. I bet she was absolutely tickled pink to get it!! My taste runs toward the English Fowlers over others and you came up with a Fowler of which she can truly be proud.

I must say I was very pleasantly surprised when I read the bottom rifle was an early Bethlehem County Rifle. When I think of rifles from that county, I think of the late rifles that to my taste seem rather out of proportion and odd looking. However, that is an extremely nice looking rifle. The early round faced lock looks very nice on that rifle. OK, you changed my mind about at least some rifles from that county.

I saved what IMO is the best for last. OMG that is a stunningly gorgeous Rifle Gun! What size and length of barrel is it? Would that still be considered an “Export Grade” rifle with the silver inlay, etc.? I know I will keep coming back to this thread in the future just to drool some more over that rifle.

As a bit of an aside, I was wondering if the Early Rounded English Locks are noticeably slower than the lighter weight flat locks? I can certainly live with them, if they are, because I got used to a NA Brown Bess Carbine lock with that LONG throw of the Cock. However, I suspect the rounded Chamber’s Locks (if that is what is on them) are noticeably faster than the Brown Bess Lock? I always shot a rifle with a Siler Lock and that is why I am curious.

Thank you for showing us these fine rifle guns and fowler.

Gus

Hi Gus,
You already saw the English rifle. I posted it months ago, although I have not replaced the photos after Photobucket screwed everybody over and severed the links. I reposted the Bethlehem rifle on this forum under the gun builders bench. One of the members of this forum wanted to see it again. The lock is a flat plate. The little fowler is a really nice gun. I posted it on thei forum under the gun builder's bench as 1765-1775 English fowler. Again, I had to repost the photos after PB screwed everyone over. All of the guns will be at Dixon's this weekend. Thanks again, Gus.

dave

Ah, OK. Not sure if I asked you about the size and length of the barrel on the English Rifle, though?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to get a feel for how much longer and the size difference between your rifle and the Chambers English Sporting rifle that has the following barrel characteristics:
â—¾31" tapered and flared octagon barrel
â—¾Breech: 1 1/8"
â—¾Small: 13/16"
â—¾Muzzle: 1"

Gus

Latest posts

Back