• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A tough time for turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

In Rembrance
Reaction score
Turkey hunting was tough this season. Bird population was down and those that were there were more wary. At the beginning of the season the Gobblers were with the hens and there was no way I could coax then within range of my new 16ga Fusil Fine.

The last couple days of the two week season was light rain, just wet enough to make you check occasionally to be sure there was dry powder in the pan. On the next to the last morning I was again in the woods before light listening for that magic sound of a tom turkey as he awoke on his roost. It had been quiet for the last few days with no turkey sightings or gobbling. I would have been discouraged but for the fact that I was in the woods with my new Flintlock, stroking her and telling her to be patient. I had named my new gun "Matilda" which means fierce in battle. The name came to me one day as though from an unseen source , the gun was still in the process of being built.

As Matilda and I sat and watched a fox squirrel scurrying around, a faint gobble came in my good ear. I couldn't tell how far away he was but it sounded like a fare piece. I reached in my call bag, bypassing the box call and the wingbone call and took out my diaphragm call. I knew that call had a better range and I wanted him to hear me. I gave a few loud clucks....no response. I waited a bit and called again....no answer. I thought he has to hear that,... I'll bet he is coming in silent

I sat and waited and watched in the direction I had first heard the gobble. I checked the power in the pan and held Matilda at the ready.

Then I saw a movement back in the pines,..a light silvery something moving slowly in my direction. Then I saw the red and blue head of the Tom as he moved ever so slow looking for the hen he had heard over here, I eared back the hammer and when he passed behind a big maple tree I raised the gun to my shoulder...…..I waited until I had a clear shot that looked to be about 25 yards.....The hammer fell and Matilda roared. For just a few seconds the smoke from 75 gr's of 2ff powder blocked the bird but then I saw that he was down and flopping. The load of #6 shot had done it's job. ronturkey22019.jpg

ronturkey12019.jpg

Outstanding Ron. Glad that you persevered!

Matilda is a good lookin' girl. Seems she shoots straight too.

I enjoyed your tale. Thank you for sharing it.

Want to mention also, that I loved the poem. Really hit home.

Congratulations, Skychief.

Outstanding story and pictures, Lobo. The one of you walking out with Matilda and the bird should be on a magazine cover. I love the 16 ga, but have never used it in a ML. Guess I'll have to save up for a barrel! Is your Matilda choked at all? Thank you for your post. George.

Thanks all for the comments.

Treestalker, I have two 20ga's a 12ga and a 16ga, they all are cylinder bore guns and they've all taken turkeys. Matilda has a 46" barrel.

Another great hunt, well told as usual, with excellent pics. I agree the one of you walking g out belongs on a magazine's cover. If our sub forums had icons I would vote for that one for this hunting subforum till fall.

Thanks for sharing,
Dave

Great job. Beautiful flintlock.

I'm still trying to get my first turkey with my 20 gauge smoothbore. I called one to within 30 yards this past Saturday, but he busted my setup and vacated before coming any closer. I'll try again this weekend. Our season runs until May 31st so I still have several more opportunities.

A close up of Matilda. My friend who made the gun for me made the side plate which is a copy of an original. She has a 46" Colerain barrel. Reworked unbridled Siler lock

fusil5.jpg

fusil2.jpg

fusil1.jpg

fusil4.jpg

Last edited:
Great story and Great photos Mr. Ron.

Congrats on the fine bird as well.

Matilda is a fine looking Lady!

How much of that #6 shot does she like over that 75 grns of ffg?

That doesn't look like a "Shrew Hawk," to me.

It's a copy of Squire Boons hawk made by the same blacksmith that makes the Shrew Hawk. He went to the museum in Indianapolis where the Boon hawk is he took photos and measurements and made this hawk. The original is a pipe hawk, mine has a solid pole

Squire Boon, (Danial Boons brother) hawk

boon hawk.jpg

Boon copy

boon hawk copy.jpg

Back