• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Thompson Center Hawken in .45 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a percussion and a flintlock T/C Hawken, both in .50 caliber. Today I found a T/C Hawken percussion in .45 caliber. I've seen very few of them in this area in .45. I can buy it for $100 and the store/pawn shop owes me a $30 store credit so I will go back and get it tomorrow. It is in good condition.
Now I need to find a .54 caliber to "complete" my set.

You will enjoy that 45 I picked one up about a year ago and enjoy shooting it. I recently sold off everything except my 32 and 36 Seneca and my 32 and 36 Cherokee but kept the 45 Hawken and will deer hunt with it in the fall. It is much more fun to shoot than my 45 Cherokee was. I could never fire an acceptable deer load in that gun that didnt bust my cheek when I was sighting in.

Yeah, I will keep watching for a .32 and/or a .36 cal. I will gladly pay about what I've paid so far ($100 each for my 2 Hawkens), or can afford to pay a little more.
I also have a Dart brand Kentucky rifle in .45 cal that I paid $50 for and an unbuilt CVA kit from the 70s that I paid $75 for.

Yeah, I will keep watching for a .32 and/or a .36 cal. I will gladly pay about what I've paid so far ($100 each for my 2 Hawkens), or can afford to pay a little more.
I also have a Dart brand Kentucky rifle in .45 cal that I paid $50 for and an unbuilt CVA kit from the 70s that I paid $75 for.
You are in muzzleloader heaven there!

I picked up the .45 T/C today. I cleaned & oiled it as if I had just shot it. I plan to shoot it and a couple others Saturday. It cleaned up nicely. I'm pleased. The serial # is 5 digits, 840** which dates it to sometime in the 70s or early 80s, I believe.
20200709_160653.jpg

Last edited:
All of the .54 Hawken barrels I have ever seen were 1" across the flats. They would not fit a standard Hawken forend which is cut for 15/16" unless you opened it up, and then the 15/16" barrels would have a gap between the barrel flats and the forend wood.

Thanks for the info. I am not looking to buy any barrels to complete my "set" of T/C Hawkens. I want complete rifles, either percussion or flintlocks, or even better yet the full range of both! That would be a collection to have, all the available calibers in cap and flint. Hey if I dream, I dream BIG.

I think my fondness is for T/C halfstock rifles, with Hawkens being my favorites. In my desire to complete my collection of T/C calibers in caplock and flint I probably should broaden my search to include Renegades and others. Am I right in believing that the difference is the lack of brass and not having a cheek rest on the non-Hawken models. Is the quality of the locks, stocks, and barrels the same? Are there other differences I should know about? Thanks.

You will enjoy that 45 I picked one up about a year ago and enjoy shooting it. I recently sold off everything except my 32 and 36 Seneca and my 32 and 36 Cherokee but kept the 45 Hawken and will deer hunt with it in the fall. It is much more fun to shoot than my 45 Cherokee was. I could never fire an acceptable deer load in that gun that didnt bust my cheek when I was sighting in.
Have taken deer with my 45 Cherokee, though no monsters. It does get your attention with the zippier loads, but boy does it carry nice.

The Senecas and Cherokees are smaller in all aspects. None of their parts will interchange with any of the full size models. I have a bit of a collection going myself, but I keep discovering ones I've never heard of. I definitely want a New Englander, High Plains Sporter, Renegade, and the 'Silver Elite.' There's thread about the Silver Elite on here that made me aware of its existence. I don't think I'll ever find one in Canada. 😢

Good find! I had to pay $420.00 for my yet-to-be-received TC 45 Hawken and there were some problems and stress with the deal, but thankfully, got those ironed out.

The Senecas and Cherokees are smaller in all aspects. None of their parts will interchange with any of the full size models. I have a bit of a collection going myself, but I keep discovering ones I've never heard of. I definitely want a New Englander, High Plains Sporter, Renegade, and the 'Silver Elite.' There's thread about the Silver Elite on here that made me aware of its existence. I don't think I'll ever find one in Canada. 😢

Would that happen to be my thread on the Silver Elite? :cool:

If I had two, I'd sell you one. How hard is it to import a gun into Canada?

Last edited:
@tom in nc, tell me about your DART Kentucky rifle. I have one that is a total, total POS with a horrible flintlock. How is yours?

Tom

Would that happen to be my thread on the Silver Elite? :cool:

If I had two, I'd sell you one. How hard is it to import a gun into Canada?
It was your rifle I was referencing. It is possible to import a gun into Canada, but it requires a third party importer and can be costly. Thank you for the offer. I'd settle for some more pictures in your other thread though.
Tom needs one too, now. 🙂

Last edited:
Back