• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Southern Style?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I call this a "Southern style" rifle mainly because it fits my idea of what might have been built in Virginia or the Carolinas in the 1780-1830 time frame.
As the people in these areas had extensive trade with England I feel the Brass Furniture is fitting while the lack of "extras" like a Patch Box fits what later became almost a trademark of the rifles of Tennessee.
This gun has a .54 caliber round ball 1 inch octagon Green Mountain Barrel, Siler lock and single curled trigger. She is definatly a "Mans Gun" as she weighs over 10 1/4 pounds.
The lack of a cheekpiece is unique and was driven by the fact that it started as a pre-carved Left Hand stock I couldn't pass up. This is why it has a 1 inch barrel. I don't shoot left hand guns well and there wasn't enough wood to form into a cheekpiece so this is how it turned out.
Although the stock shape has a resemblence with the Lancaster School, its straight comb style was also quite common in the Southern States.

0bab77e8.jpg

c7ba0684.jpg

531a61ca.jpg

Nice pics. Not to many inlays. Dam you are getting hot with them pics. How many hrs do you have in that piece?

Zonie..... Man I gotta tell ya! You have some great looking rifles. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing any an all that your care to post. Thanks for sharing with us.

jessyjames: As I mentioned in the post with the Franklin I was butned out on inlays. That's part of the reason it only has three (Star, Moon and Thumb inlay behind the barrel tang).
This one took about 200 hours. I take my time because I can't afford to buy a lot of these. As you know, just the wood and parts can set me back $450 or more.

Ironwood: Glad you like them. I really do fear people will think I'm a bragert and if I could post them without people knowing it was me I'd be a lot happier.
I have a total of 9 that I've made over the last 9 years. Actually in that time, I built 10 but I sold the first one I ever made.

Anyway, using you and your comment about seeing more I may post the rest of them. By the way, I shrunk the Southerns image down to 900 pixals so it doesn't take up so much room on the screen. I may try going to the 600 you suggested on the next ones.

Zonie - That is a beauty. Inlays don't impress me much they take away from the beauty of the wood I think. I shoot right hand guns left handed so a cheek piece don't do any thing for me ether. As for your braging looks to me like you have earned that right with your fine work. Will be looking for more of your work. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts

Back