• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A Smokin' Blast -- 3rd BP shoot with Trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiksmo

40 Cal
Reaction score
I had another pleasant day this last weekend at the Ft Osage Muzzleloading range with temps in mid 70s and zero wind. I was able to shoot more round balls today compared to my first 2 range visits; then I was just learning how to reload. I had been shooting 10 rounds per range time, but was having a lot of fun and went to 15 rounds this time.

I increased my powder load from 24 grains to 30 grains. The pistol was really "smoking" as I shot. :*) With no wind, it took several seconds for the air to clear before I could see my target again. I had only one "oops" this outing. Left my range finder at home, so it was harder to see my POIs. I was able to mark POIs 1-6 on the P-2 target, but couldn't track POIs 7-15 well at all. So nothin' to do but continue shooting, and just have some great fun.

Shot off hand, standing. Final POI results were 14/15 round balls in target. Couple of good groups, couple of them flying wide, and had a favorite round dead-on bull! Will hang this target next to my other two range targets, and let them show me how today went. I don't think I'll increase the powder load next time out. Not that 30 grains is the sweet spot; just want to see if I can yet tighten the group size. The pistol shot well at 30 grains; No glitches at all with the gun. It was an all-around perfect day shooting.

Picture Story follows. Same target configuration I've used before -- a 20" circle, standard muzzleloader 25-yard pistol target (a P-2). Then my dis-assembled Trapper pistol right after I gave it a bath. Finally, re-assembled pistol after a Ballistol spruce-up.

A really fun day all around!
icon_e_biggrin.gif
Definitely looking to "smoking" again in October. There will be a 4-day, large shoot called the "56th Annual Indian Summer Black-Powder Rifle & Pistol Shoot." I won't compete this year, since I'm quite the novice shooter. But next year I'd like to be in a competition match with the Trapper.

Hope my Number Three Blast was enjoyable to read!
wiksmo aka Bob

The Picture Story
Blast 3_P2 target at 25 yards_3391.JPG Blast 3_Clean Trapper_3393.JPG Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3395.JPG Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3394.JPG

Back