• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

a shooting box i picked up at auction. let's see yall's,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I use now.
IMG_0619.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

This one I repurposed for archery stuff.
IMG_0623.jpeg

IMG_0622.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

Robby

i went to an auction sat. 2 miles from my house, been going there for years. they had this little box there. i saw the protentional! i waited in 95 degrees and 100& humidity in our SC sun for over 2 hours till they got to this item in a line of junk. i meant to get it no matter the coast! the bidding started at 5 bucks; my hand went up! and it was the only hand that went up! i got it for five dollars! i got it home and took it to my gun room and started to clean and wipe it down. in the bottom corner i found an old fishhook and real small line swivel. then i realized this had been somebody's homemade tackle box! then i made a new leather hand strap out of a vintage horse rein, View attachment 154579View attachment 154580View attachment 154582View attachment 154583View attachment 154584View attachment 154585View attachment 154586View attachment 154587 it looks to me to be around the 30s-40s era. well, it found a good home! and a new use. you can click on attachments to see, i have no idea why they don't just show on this page, maybe the photos are to large,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I like that. Can you post the dimensions? Building a new box is on my list if I ever get back in the shop. Thanks.

i went to an auction sat. 2 miles from my house, been going there for years. they had this little box there. i saw the protentional! i waited in 95 degrees and 100& humidity in our SC sun for over 2 hours till they got to this item in a line of junk. i meant to get it no matter the coast! the bidding started at 5 bucks; my hand went up! and it was the only hand that went up! i got it for five dollars! i got it home and took it to my gun room and started to clean and wipe it down. in the bottom corner i found an old fishhook and real small line swivel. then i realized this had been somebody's homemade tackle box! then i made a new leather hand strap out of a vintage horse rein, View attachment 154579View attachment 154580View attachment 154582View attachment 154583View attachment 154584View attachment 154585View attachment 154586View attachment 154587 it looks to me to be around the 30s-40s era. well, it found a good home! and a new use. you can click on attachments to see, i have no idea why they don't just show on this page, maybe the photos are to large,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That IS nice. Great find!!

Where did you find the plans to make that? Or did you just plan it as you went along?
I just made it as I went along. I started with a t.c. patroit pistol for dimensions for the top compartment, The height of a can of black powder for the height. Then filled in the remaining area with drawers. Since I have been building custom furniture for over fifty years it was simple for me Now playing musical instruments is impossible for me. We all have our abilities and limitations.

Can't beat that. I'm still in the middle of finishing a box I started some time ago. I had started a thread before I started building the box where members showed off some of the prettiest, ingenious and eye candy art you've ever seen.
Check it out
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/show-us-your-range-box.119862/

I was reinforcing wooden boxes for various purposes with those brass corners in the 1970's (still have them).
Ace Hardware, Lowes, and Home Depot still sell them.
That box may have been "upgraded" in the 70's or it was made later than the 30's or 40's. Either way it is a great find and will serve you well I'm sure.
I still use mine.

I was reinforcing wooden boxes for various purposes with those brass corners in the 1970's (still have them).
Ace Hardware, Lowes, and Home Depot still sell them.
That box may have been "upgraded" in the 70's or it was made later than the 30's or 40's. Either way it is a great find and will serve you well I'm sure.
I still use mine.
i don't know the age just guessing. but i do have another box with those same corner protectors, it was a handmade wooden toolbox, and it is portably at least 100 years old. so, i think they had those protectors a long time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bought this one at a flea market and repurposed it into a field box.

Attachments

• 4A6F1A58-F4D8-44EF-B12E-F044E57901DD.jpeg
    4A6F1A58-F4D8-44EF-B12E-F044E57901DD.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 94D745D1-7E35-4507-89F2-079530412328.jpeg
    94D745D1-7E35-4507-89F2-079530412328.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 15CE01B5-AF9D-4798-91B3-F050096718B5.jpeg
    15CE01B5-AF9D-4798-91B3-F050096718B5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Makes a great looking shooting box!

Back