• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A shared effort.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A suppressed suppository gun? A photo would be appreciated or am I not getting the British humor?
As "funny" as the British government is about private gun ownership, they are not as squeamish about sound suppressors on firearms as our governing bodies. In order to maintain the peace and tranquility of the area sound suppressors for hunting are not uncommon, I almost get the feeling that they might even be encourages.

I do find it curious also that they suppress shotguns, something we almost never hear of or consider here. In fact, I didn't even know anyone did such things until following the exploits of folks like @Britsmoothy
I would be interested to know if and how the suppressor effects patterns.

Since Fridays outing for big Ted the 10g it has sat fouled but dry patiently waiting!
The crows were hitting the maize stubble next to my village.
I had Saturday morning from light to 9am, thus I took a suppressed suppository gun. There was a wind and the shooting was excellent. I felt bad not using Ted but I just could not unleash the boom on the village first thing in the morning! I should add that the suppository gun is moderated and very quiet.
Next chance was going to be Sunday first light to 9am! The weather had changed though. Dead calm and fog🤦‍♂️. I managed to pull five in via calling. I still protected the village from Ted!
Next chance was Sunday afternoon. The village makes enough noise on a Sunday afternoon with just leaf blowers! It was pay back time, Ted was unleashed!
The wind was zero but the fog had lifted. The shooting was steady but Ted was a trooper. Hardly missed a bird!
I was using the finest grade powder I had, I used near a flask full. I was short filling the measure. Simply guessing I was loading just over 1oz but using 3/4 the volume for powder.
#5 shot again with just thin cards x2 for a wad.
As things started to slow down I switched back to suppositories as I wanted Ted empty so I could clean it. The Pedersoli 10g was thick with foul! I occasionally loaded a blob of lube to keep the fouling soft but on the whole loading never got difficult today.
There was birds down everywhere!
Over the weekend and due to birds falling in the distance some, and some in thick cover I can not give an accurate figure but Ted shot over 40 crows and 2 pigeons.
The estimated count for the weekend is; 100 crows, rook and jackdaws. 10 pigeons and one squirrel.
Forget the white powder gun, the real star was the 10g frontloader. The noise, the smell, the authority and the grins from ear to ear.
That 10g has shot in excess of 70 shots this weekend without missing a beat. It can be loaded light and it can be loaded heavy and rarely misses.
View attachment 104565
that sure is a pile, great fun was had i am sure!!!!

Since Fridays outing for big Ted the 10g it has sat fouled but dry patiently waiting!
The crows were hitting the maize stubble next to my village.
I had Saturday morning from light to 9am, thus I took a suppressed suppository gun. There was a wind and the shooting was excellent. I felt bad not using Ted but I just could not unleash the boom on the village first thing in the morning! I should add that the suppository gun is moderated and very quiet.
Next chance was going to be Sunday first light to 9am! The weather had changed though. Dead calm and fog🤦‍♂️. I managed to pull five in via calling. I still protected the village from Ted!
Next chance was Sunday afternoon. The village makes enough noise on a Sunday afternoon with just leaf blowers! It was pay back time, Ted was unleashed!
The wind was zero but the fog had lifted. The shooting was steady but Ted was a trooper. Hardly missed a bird!
I was using the finest grade powder I had, I used near a flask full. I was short filling the measure. Simply guessing I was loading just over 1oz but using 3/4 the volume for powder.
#5 shot again with just thin cards x2 for a wad.
As things started to slow down I switched back to suppositories as I wanted Ted empty so I could clean it. The Pedersoli 10g was thick with foul! I occasionally loaded a blob of lube to keep the fouling soft but on the whole loading never got difficult today.
There was birds down everywhere!
Over the weekend and due to birds falling in the distance some, and some in thick cover I can not give an accurate figure but Ted shot over 40 crows and 2 pigeons.
The estimated count for the weekend is; 100 crows, rook and jackdaws. 10 pigeons and one squirrel.
Forget the white powder gun, the real star was the 10g frontloader. The noise, the smell, the authority and the grins from ear to ear.
That 10g has shot in excess of 70 shots this weekend without missing a beat. It can be loaded light and it can be loaded heavy and rarely misses.
View attachment 104565
Out of interest,what are you using as lube and how are you applying it ?

If that's not TOO personal.....😉😉🤣🤣

Out of interest,what are you using as lube and how are you applying it ?

If that's not TOO personal.....😉😉🤣🤣
Lol.
Just at the moment it is coconut fat and olive oil.
I just use thin cards, that day just two. Every few shots I would put one card in the muzzle but with the second card scoop some lube from the old cap tin and put it lube down onto the first card in the muzzle. Pressure on firing injects it into the fouling for me, freeing the barrel for a few more shots.

Lol.
I just use thin cards, that day just two. Every few shots I would put one card in the muzzle but with the second card scoop some lube from the old cap tin and put it lube down onto the first card in the muzzle. Pressure on firing injects it into the fouling for me, freeing the barrel for a few more shots.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking would be a good way to do it. I generally don't fire that many shots between cleans but its good to know. I might only fire old Gerty twice in a week.

Brits...great shooting! And you weren't even wearing Corn Camo!!! How on earth did you ever get close enough to shoot anything??? ;) 🤣 You cannot shoot stuff just wearing traditional clothing, can you??? 🤔

1637018485338.png

Lol.

That lube reads interesting, can you tell me more please, particularly your mixture ratio.

That lube reads interesting, can you tell me more please, particularly your mixture ratio.
There is nothing to tell friend.
My wife was throwing it out.
I looked at it, melted it and added some olive oil.
If anything I need to melt it again and add more olive oil now the winter is here.
I really don't over think my muzzleloader shooting.

Back