• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A shared effort.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since Fridays outing for big Ted the 10g it has sat fouled but dry patiently waiting!
The crows were hitting the maize stubble next to my village.
I had Saturday morning from light to 9am, thus I took a suppressed suppository gun. There was a wind and the shooting was excellent. I felt bad not using Ted but I just could not unleash the boom on the village first thing in the morning! I should add that the suppository gun is moderated and very quiet.
Next chance was going to be Sunday first light to 9am! The weather had changed though. Dead calm and fog🤦‍♂️. I managed to pull five in via calling. I still protected the village from Ted!
Next chance was Sunday afternoon. The village makes enough noise on a Sunday afternoon with just leaf blowers! It was pay back time, Ted was unleashed!
The wind was zero but the fog had lifted. The shooting was steady but Ted was a trooper. Hardly missed a bird!
I was using the finest grade powder I had, I used near a flask full. I was short filling the measure. Simply guessing I was loading just over 1oz but using 3/4 the volume for powder.
#5 shot again with just thin cards x2 for a wad.
As things started to slow down I switched back to suppositories as I wanted Ted empty so I could clean it. The Pedersoli 10g was thick with foul! I occasionally loaded a blob of lube to keep the fouling soft but on the whole loading never got difficult today.
There was birds down everywhere!
Over the weekend and due to birds falling in the distance some, and some in thick cover I can not give an accurate figure but Ted shot over 40 crows and 2 pigeons.
The estimated count for the weekend is; 100 crows, rook and jackdaws. 10 pigeons and one squirrel.
Forget the white powder gun, the real star was the 10g frontloader. The noise, the smell, the authority and the grins from ear to ear.
That 10g has shot in excess of 70 shots this weekend without missing a beat. It can be loaded light and it can be loaded heavy and rarely misses.
20211114_162502.jpg

Attachments

• 20211114_162502.jpg
    20211114_162502.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 27
Good shooting there brit, That corn field brings back memories, used too be around here the corn was picked and the stalks,husks and such was left like your picture, I would hand pick the head rows where the tractor turned for the next pass, too feed the hogs I raised, those fields also provided some good hunting for rabbits. It is a rare field now that looks like that, mostly just bare ground and about 3-4 in. of stuble.

Good shooting there brit, That corn field brings back memories, used too be around here the corn was picked and the stalks,husks and such was left like your picture, I would hand pick the head rows where the tractor turned for the next pass, too feed the hogs I raised, those fields also provided some good hunting for rabbits. It is a rare field now that looks like that, mostly just bare ground and about 3-4 in. of stuble.
Yes same here now but this crop has been harvested with a special combine to just thrash the kernels out. Rich pickings are left behind for critters.
There was a flock of a thousand pigeons a couple of fields away. The 10g scared them off eventually like regular bird scarer!

I am interested in hearing about loading the 10 gauge light. I bought a 10 gauge pedersoli on here and I have not gotten around to pattern testing different loads yet. I am just going to shoot clays and maybe a few dove with it and plan on using 1 ounce of shot or so with F or FF. It seems to be hard to find examples of folks using such little shot in a 10 gauge..

I am interested in hearing about loading the 10 gauge light. I bought a 10 gauge pedersoli on here and I have not gotten around to pattern testing different loads yet. I am just going to shoot clays and maybe a few dove with it and plan on using 1 ounce of shot or so with F or FF. It seems to be hard to find examples of folks using such little shot in a 10 gauge..
The reason you don't hear much about light loads in 10g muzzleloaders is because most folk use the wrong powder like the grades you suggest. It just leads to disappointment.
Use 3 or 4f and get some pressure up.
Oh, and I haven't got around to patterning it yet also except for buckshot.
👍

Back