• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A question of filling horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 6 or 7 horns. None have a fill plug in the base. None are hard to fill thru the spout.
IF YOUR FILLING DEVICE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE OLD TYMEYM WE ARE ALL SURROUNDED BY HUNDREDS OF FUNNELS.
FIND A PLASTIC BOTTLE WITH THEOPENING JUST RIGHT AND CUT OFF THE BOTTOM
FROM GALLON JUGS TO WEE MEDECINE BOTTLES, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE.

DUTCH

I use a cartridge reloading funnel. They have a recess that fits right over the tip of the horn and directs the powder in to it. Doesn't slip off either.

the Acorn plug was in the wood plug when I was given the horn. I added the thumbing charger. It screws in and out with a sizable hole I can fill through. So I can fill from top or bottom. I also empty the horn through the bottom as it is just as easy either way. I fill charge into a measure first, then charge the weapon. Safety reasons but in PA it's also against the law to charge directly from powder source into the weapon. It all still comes down to preferences.
Willy Horn1.jpg

I was wondering how many create a plug in the base for filling or emptying horns in an easy fashion? I saw brass threaded sleeves and plugs in TOW but didn't know if others used them. I considered doing something like that with my current horn.
Maybe others never felt the need to do this. I'd take feedback either way. Perhaps it isn't something needed, even a waste of time and money. Perhaps others have found a filling plug in the base to be useful and have one style they regularly use.
Any info is appreciated.
I’ve used squeeze ketchup bottles from the dollar store for years. Just fill the bottle with powder stick the nozzle into the tip of the horn and squeeze. So easy I can do it. I have one bottle with the stock tip and one with the tip cut back a bit for more flow. If your really cheap like me you can find them two for a buck sometimes. BJH

Back