• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A question of filling horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering how many create a plug in the base for filling or emptying horns in an easy fashion? I saw brass threaded sleeves and plugs in TOW but didn't know if others used them. I considered doing something like that with my current horn.
Maybe others never felt the need to do this. I'd take feedback either way. Perhaps it isn't something needed, even a waste of time and money. Perhaps others have found a filling plug in the base to be useful and have one style they regularly use.
Any info is appreciated.

Some horns have base plugs. There are brass ones that look like acorns that can be bought. But, filling from the spout is not all that difficult. I have a small brass funnel that works fine with 3Fg but I have to use paper formed like a funnel for 2Fg, which, for me, is very rare.

I used a large tap & die set to thread a hole inthe base of my horn, and made a cap for the base with a wooden threaded piece to go into the base. When the cap is unscrewed, there is a 1/2" hole for the powder to fill the horn.

My horn has a brass fill insert but I find myself filling through the spout more often than not. Saves the step of unscrewing the fill plug. If I made another I would not install a fill plug of any type.

@rafterob that is the sort of info I was looking for. While I know how to fill and empty my horn through the spout, I wondered about ease of emptying particularly through a fill plug. If you haven't found much use then perhaps it isn't worth it. Maybe I'll make one with a plug and see, but won't look at changing my current horns.

Hi Daryl,

Back in the 1970's when I began muzzle loading, the threaded brass inserts were sometimes seen in powder horns. But as far as documentation from authentic/original horns, most didn't have a removable plug, outside of horns used for artillery on ship's guns. Even then they used a wood tap and screw box to make the threaded plug with "wood" threads rather than machine threads.

Once I found that out, I never bothered with a removable plug and found you don't need them, just as they knew back in the period.

Gus

I took a .22 Hornet case, cut off the base and soldered it into another shell that I cut about one inch off the neck and body ( .270 maybe?) Then took an old cap from a powder can , drilled a hole in it and soldered a shell from a .38 Special into it and drilled out the primer hole to about 1/4". The body of the .38 fits into the body of the .270 and then the whole set up is inserted into the horn spout.

I took a .22 Hornet case, cut off the base and soldered it into another shell that I cut about one inch off the neck and body ( .270 maybe?) Then took an old cap from a powder can , drilled a hole in it and soldered a shell from a .38 Special into it and drilled out the primer hole to about 1/4". The body of the .38 fits into the body of the .270 and then the whole set up is inserted into the horn spout.

You know they make real small funnels right :)

Natures funnel.........Just pour it in.
029 (800x600).jpg

just roll up a piece of computer / any paper into a funnel and fill horn through spout, then through it away, or make a paper cartridge out of it , no waste!

Latest posts

Back