A question of accoutrements-Plains hunter, 1830-1850

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I have read about some Indians being as wasteful as some whites.
i can see where in some situations when someone is traveling light they just need enough meat for a day or two, and do not have the time or resources to make use of the whole animal.
It’s been some years since I read a lot of the MM journals but I Think it was Ruxton who wrote about him and another shooting a Buffalo. He said it a shame to kill such an animal for two men’s dinner, and after a while chose the poorest old cow of the lot

Einsiedler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a portrait of of Stephen F Austin supposedly painted during his 1833 trip to Mexico City wearing a hunting shirt and matching fringed pants. There are at least three other versions of this picture that I have found. One is and engraving and the other two are also paintings. I haven't been able to definitively determine which is the original and which ones are copies, but three of the four show fringe on the pants. All of them have fringe on the hunting shirt.
View attachment 99608
Always like the dog! Btw, and Cano was his name-O! 😊

Red Owl

40 Cal
Reaction score
1840 was sort of a pivotal year. Industry in England was taking off and machine sewn clothes and all sorts of other things were showing up. Inexpensive sheet metal, stamping for marking metal, etc. So.... if you drift more toward 1850- you have a larger umbrella as far as being PC. On the buckskins, were mountain men- Gardner Johnson comes to mind- would buy wool pants, etc. at the annual Rendezvous or a trading post. The cloth wore out but was often replaced.

Red Owl

40 Cal
Reaction score
One point, from what I understand the buckskin "pantaloons" were made by NDN women for the purpose of trading with the whites. The NDN men didn't wear them. When the traders first arrived the NDN women tore apart the pants to figure out the pattern- how they were made. I've had questions about moccasins as well. The period paintings show a lot of mountain men with puckered toe type moccasins in areas where the NDNs wore side seams. Not sure if certain moccasins were made just for the whites. COULD BE, maybe they left a different imprint in the dirt/mud and you could tell if the tracks were made by friend or foe. No idea at all, just thinking.
BTW philosophy is thinking about thinking. :)