• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A question for the horners.colors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Other than the traditional black or brown, has anyone ever seen other colors on dyed horn spout necks? Has any one seen a proper horn spout n forest green, maroon or navy blue? Your input is welcome. Thanks.

Though not as common, there are examples of original powder horns with colored throats (neck/spout area).....Also completely painted horns.

Colors that come to mind include red, blue, vermilion and dark green.

The above information is for Traditional historic styles of powder horns. For Contemporary configured horn colors. I guess anything goes.

Rick

I made this horn a few years ago. The natural color was a nice grey/green so I dyed the neck area a mossy green and blended it into the horn body with a scotchbrite pad.

Horn100-2.jpg

BucksCo said:
I made this horn a few years ago. The natural color was a nice grey/green so I dyed the neck area a mossy green and blended it into the horn body with a scotchbrite pad.

Horn100-2.jpg
Nice horn and I like the color. Did you make the bag also - I like it - show some more pictures please.

i did make a horn as a gift which had red and green ... wasn't sure at the time if this was HC/PC or no, but the recipient was very taken with it, and i found out later that i hadn't broken too many rules. I would assume that more muted shades would be more appropriate.

being a minimalist, Bauhaus sort of fellow, i prefer plain old black, but you should do what makes you happy - not to satisfy someone else's notion of propriety, IMHO.

i like it! maybe some scrim, but otherwise a light treatment. less is more , and all that good stuff....

one guy's opinion, free and doubtless well worth the cost
:grin:

People in the eighteenth century liked color. Painted horns were quite common. Reds (vermillion), greens, yellows (onion skin dye works well), etc.

I use milk paints applied on a clean horn, rubbed back to get an egg shell like finish, repeat until the desired effect has been reached. I then over stain with a brown stain rubbed back. Will post some pics when I figure out how.

Back