• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A quesion of ballistics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
If a gun weighing 28 lbs is loaded with 4 ounces of #8 over 240 gns of powder and the trap is set for rising teal,
was this picture taken before or after the shot? :crackup:

brian.jpg

Good grief Robin.... I've seen your wall gun before but this is the best picture yet.

I'm voting for after..... I think the smile says it all.

SP

That looks like an 18th century weapon of mass destruction!
I can see it now Holland invades Belgium because of the Flemish WMD program! :crackup:

Squire Robin,
this might sound like a stupid ??? but what do you use that for, flocks of geese???? :huh: :what: :hmm: :peace: :) :thumbsup:

snake-eyes ::

Only loading the #8 for fun, wall guns were usually military and shoot ball. This one is a civilian gun, has the military lock but no ordnance acceptance mark. I think it was probably mounted on the hand rail of a tall ship out on the spice routes, they'd take a wall gun if they couldn't justify a cannon.

It dates from about 1790, has the name MEWIS on the tang but whether they made the tang, the barrel or the whole thing I don't know. A Birmingham based company, usually military rather than sporting.

Everything on this one is scaled up unlike the military version which had a normal sized trigger and guard. Trigger pull is around 25 pounds because they scaled up the sear spring to ::

or the cloud of smoke in the back ground that looks like it's clearing up.........................bob

I would also say after, between the haze in tha background that still lingers, the forwards position of the frizzen and your arm looks sore as well...

Did the recoil cause the hammer to rise back to the half-cock position?

I didn't think it was me in the picture, but as you seem so insistant I could be wrong :huh:

It would take Mt. St Helens to blow this thing to half cock ::

notbrian.jpg

I didn't think it was me in the picture, but as you seem so insistant I could be wrong :huh:

There is no way to confuse the two, everyone knows that Brian is better looking than Robin. :crackup:

If a gun weighing 28 lbs is loaded with 4 ounces of #8 over 240 gns of powder and the trap is set for rising teal,
was this picture taken before or after the shot?
You guys are wrong! This is definitely before the shot. The after shot would be a photo of two feet sticking out of a cloud of smoke the size of a train car! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

P.S. That certainly is a well-endowed piece. Just look at the size of that c............... :shocking:Okay, you all know where I'm going with this! Decency forbids me from finishing that sentence! :crackup: :thumbsup:

That is one big fusil :master:! Bet you could kill a lot of brits with that!!!! (sorry couldn't resist) I'm picturing the look on the rangers, face when the chief yells "Bring up Le Big Fuzze" and we run out with that........... :)

Mkui Medal
(Red leggins)
Guerre Abenakis

You said the cannon...er...rifle shoots a ball-is the barrel rifled or smooth? Inquireing minds want to know! P.S. What size ball does it fire?

It's a smoothy and I've been shooting a loose patched .91" ball

If I double up on the patch she starts to buck a bit ::

That is before the shot. If you look carefully you see there is no powder flash deposit in the leather in the flint jaws, and the nearby trees still have leaves.

Same spot . . . after clay bird was "smoked."
DaisyLZ50.JPG

Note ramrod has slid forward slightly. Indicating piece had been fired.

Actually, Squire Robin's photo is a fake! It was originally a still from the blockbuster movie Harry Potter and the Giant Musket ! This is the original photo :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup::
hpgm.jpg

Latest posts

Back