• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A powder horn from Antelope horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone ever build a priming horn or regular powder horn from an Antelope's horn? Do you treat 'em just like a cow's horn? Any ideas on how to get rid of that strong odor? Thanks all.

For the oder problem, I threw mine away. :grin: I just couldnt stand that rotting smell any longer. No, I have not messed with making anything from antelope horns since. They sure do smell. :barf:

The Antelope or Prong Horn in the west often called a "Prairie Goat". The Goat sheds the outer shell of the horn each year. The horn then forms a new shell.
The shed horn is very thin and made of hair. The horn will will soon decay if left in the desert. You can of course preserve the horn. The horn should be covered with an epoxy to keep it from breaking and decaying. This will also take care of the goat smell.
With all this being said, I think it would make a very poor powder horn. :shake:

I've cut the horns off still attached to the skull plate on a fresh kill and boiled in water until they loosen, then remove and let dry. No problem with odor. Fresh kill may be the answer.

I have found a neat product on the market for oder problems and it may help for this and other projects as well with a strong oder.

Hunter Specialties has crystals for washing your clothes in that rids the cloth of it smells. I also used the same product in the wife"s Vacuum cleaner and it got rid of the old dog hair smell. They also sell it in a spray that I used on a pair of non-hunting boots that would gag a maggot :barf:. I sprayed it inside and out and again it worked like a charm. Any of your sporting stores will have it Wally world,Sportsman warehouse, etc.

Good luck

Most of the products use baking soda. Save the expense, and just use baking soda on garments, or in the water you soak and wash that Antelope horn in. to get rid of the odors. Much of that horn is formed from hair like substances, and I am told that is why the horns stink so much. Boil for a brief time, in clean water with baking soda added, and then let dry in the open air. The odor should be gone, If not, put the horn back in the water for another boil.

----- :shake: :shake: :shake: does it work on skivvies :barf: :barf: :barf: -----

:surrender: We can only hope on the skivvies. Regardless, we cant have our blackpowder smelling bad, who knows what it might smell like when ignited :shocked2: The baking powder trick should work as well. It was just a convenient way to apply it.

Back